RFID for cataloging

RFID is not a new technology, not as dated as it will not exist in the near future. I strong feeling about RFID there is great potential to implement such devices in many application. As I am new in this forum, noticed that the project for most RFID are to couple some hardware, with a reader, a tag, simple program and "wala" the tag is read with the out put as expected. I felt that was so anti-climax.

My scenario is I have a few thousand tags to read, and there are a couple of hundred type of items. If I have these items of type listed in an excel sheet, how we can implement this RFID to keep track of these items and count them as we scan them?

How can multiple scanners pick up these items and tally them into the same file or a database?

This doesn't sound like an Arduino question, or at least any part the Arduino has to play is, as you put it, "anti-climax". You just send the tag down the serial port to your computer. Their you can use a database like a sequel server ( SQL ) fed from the spread sheet and interrogated by the tag. This is a normal application program, and as such, is way outside what this forum is about.

Thank you Mike for your nice respond.

My apology for putting this question unrelated to Arduino hardware.
However, I was looking for that answer - “You just send the tag down the serial port to your computer. Their you can use a database like a sequel server ( SQL ) fed from the spread sheet and interrogated by the tag.”

In my project, I would like to put together a tag and a display with RFID scanner. I want it to be able to read and write to the tag, the display will show up information that are captured, like an expiry date, and price. Can you suggest what hardware I will need to string them together.

One additional question, can a RFID Tag be mounted with GPS?

Thank you,

I want it to be able to read and write to the tag,

So being able to store data on a tag means you need a high frequency tag. A cheap system would be to use the Mifare tags / cards. This could be read with the RFID-RC522 reader which is cheap. I got three from eBay at just less than £10 for all three.

If you are using this with an Arduino you can not connect the pins directly to the Arduino as a lot of online tutorials would have you believe, look for a schematic with resistors connected as potential dividers to cut down the 5V signals from the Arduino to the 3V3 signals the reader needs.

Thank you Mike, so nice of you to give suggestions. I'm sure keen to take up your offer and will consider what other hardware need to put the whole idea to work.

NerdyLuke: . I want it to be able to read and write to the tag Thank you,

I do not think the 522 reader supports writing. Not sure if you need it though. My local library uses cheap read only tags but not sure which variety.

I do not think the 522 reader supports writing.

Yes it does.