RFID paper tags

Hello,
is the RFID-RC522 Ardunio module compatible with Smartrack Paper tag modules (https://www.amazon.com/SMARTRAC-RaceTrack-RFID-Paper-Tag/dp/B01CIUUCN4)?
They work at 13.56MHz but I haven't managed to read or write one.

SeaWalker:
They work at 13.56MHz but I haven't managed to read or write one.

Perhaps that is your answer.

Have you first tested the MFRC-522 on the tags which come with it? If it reads those but not the others, well you know the answer! :sunglasses:

Yes, it reads the white plastic tags but how come not those paper ones? They work at the same frequency.

SeaWalker:
Yes, it reads the white plastic tags but how come not those paper ones? They work at the same frequency.

Different protocols.

I made the same mistake a few years ago when I built a game that used RFID tags and an Arduino and an Alexa Dot to provide clues...

The tags that worked for me were based on ISO14443A MIFARE.

I see, but if the RFID reader frequency matches the card, shouldn’t it be just a matter of software to switch between different ISO standards?

I’m no expert but it looks like the firmware is built-into the RC522.

SeaWalker:
I see, but if the RFID reader frequency matches the card, shouldn't it be just a matter of software to switch between different ISO standards?

True enough, but as pointed out, the MFRC522 does not have software, it has firmware! :roll_eyes:

ok, fair enough, it seems this board only works with the test white card.
Is there an Arduino compatible programmable RFID reader/writer to interact with all 13.56MHz cards?

SeaWalker:
ok, fair enough, it seems this board only works with the test white card.
Is there an Arduino compatible programmable RFID reader/writer to interact with all 13.56MHz cards?

Probably not. Just buy another roll of tags using the correct protocol.

The MFRC522 also reads the coloured plastic tags containing a wire coil and chip.

Aliexpress link

The white plastic credit-sized card contains much the same, I don’t think the coil is printed like the paper card which clearly uses a different IC with a different protocol.

Unfortunately I need to use the paper tag above, it is a compatibility requirement

Then you will simply need to obtain the reader unit that matches it, whatever the other equipment with which you require compatibility, uses.

This probably has little to do with an Arduino. If the reader is - and it most likely is - a USB attachment, then you will probably be able to use it with a Raspberry Pi,

As I said before, just buy the paper tags that comply with the ISO/IEC 14443A/MIFARE interface.

I am pretty sure that there are the tags I used.

SteveMann:
As I said before, just buy the paper tags that comply with the ISO/IEC 14443A/MIFARE interface.

But see #10. He does not want to or is not permitted to.

Should be the end of the discussion. :roll_eyes:

I didn't see that he had to use that tag. If so, he is probably out of luck for an Arduino-compatible reader.

SteveMann:
I didn't see that he had to use that tag. If so, he is probably out of luck for an Arduino-compatible reader.

In our local library we have most old volumes (~5000) tagged with those RFID paper tags but the pads are no longer in production. I guess I need to replace old tags with newer ones.

It is always nice to know the real problem. To be fair, the Amazon reference does indicate the specific purpose of these tags now that I look at it more closely. :grinning:

What does "the pads are no longer in production" - presumably referring to the reader units - mean? Are the old ones failing, or do you need to install additional ones? Is the tag technology obsolete and new readers are no longer available?

It appears you may be looking for an "Arduino solution on the cheap" to avid purchasing commercial equipment. Sometimes that works, but frequently not. :astonished:

Paul__B:
It appears you may be looking for an "Arduino solution on the cheap" to avid purchasing commercial equipment. Sometimes that works, but frequently not. :astonished:

Exactly, I'm doing an internship trying to come up with a backward-compatible solution in order to avoid retagging and provide better hardware. The current reader pads are broken while the new ones use a different frequency.
These are the tag standards: ISO 18000–3 mode 1, ISO 15693, ISO 28560, CE, ISO10716 & ISO 9706 from TÜV SÜD PSB

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.