RFID Radar

What I am trying to do is to use an RFID Reader (the XBee, to be specific) and use it like a radar to track down items that have been dropped through the Arduino Uno. The overall goal of the project that I am trying to get done is to pick up items autonomously so that the elderly don’t have to bend over and possibly cause themselves harm by falling and injuring themselves.

Now, I am wondering something: will I run into feasibility issues with using the XBee like this, and if not, is there a way to properly program this without screwing up things so badly that it won’t properly work?

What I am trying to do is to use an RFID Reader (the XBee, to be specific) and use it like a radar to track down items that have been dropped through the Arduino Uno.

An XBee is a radio, not an RFID reader.

The holes on an Arduino UNO are pretty small. How can you drop things through an Arduino UNO?

Now, I am wondering something: will I run into feasibility issues with using the XBee like this

Absolutely.

if not, is there a way to properly program this without screwing up things so badly that it won't properly work?

I guess you don't have to worry about this part.

Would you care to try again?

Assuming you are in fact anticipating the use of an RFID receiver, then these things have quite a short range, and you would have to fix an RFID tag on anything that might fall on the floor. Not to mention the problem of the robot tripping the old folk they are trying to help.

Maybe they just need a grabber stick.

Si:
Assuming you are in fact anticipating the use of an RFID receiver, then these things have quite a short range, and you would have to fix an RFID tag on anything that might fall on the floor. Not to mention the problem of the robot tripping the old folk they are trying to help.

Maybe they just need a grabber stick.

What the group is trying to do is use a servo-powered arm to grab said items once it is in a range where the arm can pick it up. As for my part, fixing an RFID tag on the major items that fall onto the floor (remotes, keys, etc.) was exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Re-read that part about short range. Typically, the range is on the order of a centimeter or less - thinner than a remote control, for instance. If the remote falls tag side down, the robot won't be able to get close enough the read the tag.

PaulS:
Re-read that part about short range. Typically, the range is on the order of a centimeter or less - thinner than a remote control, for instance. If the remote falls tag side down, the robot won’t be able to get close enough the read the tag.

Thanks for the advice, though it looks like what we were hoping to do is now going to fail… mainly because myself and my group didn’t properly read the specs on the XBee and didn’t realize the range on it was just 4.5".

Anyway, thanks for the help.

mainly because myself and my group didn't properly read the specs on the XBee and didn't realize the range on it was just 4.5".

I guess that wasn't the only thing you didn't read. There is not an XBee made that has a range of only 4.5 inches. In addition, XBee and RFID are completely separate technologies.

Sometime easier is better. maybe a magnet on a stick. put the remote on a string. velcro, etc…

You could teach them to use the force? 8)