RFID reader for pet microchips?

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any RFID readers for these RFID microchips that are implanted in pets. We have 2 chipped cats and the idea is to attach a reader on either side of the cat flap, which would allow me to check which cat is in or out.

I’ve googled quite a bit but can’t seem to find any technical info on the microchips and what RFID standard they use. There seem to be a few different readers for different frequencies (125kHz, 13.56MHz, …). I’ve not done any project with RFID before and I’m not sure which reader to choose.

Thanks,
Chris

Why not ask your vet who implanted them?

Dont hold me to this, but as i recall theres at least two RF standards and a number of data format standards, then there are 2 registrar services (in the uk, more in other markets).

Last time I checked most of the UK stuff was 125khz and iso fdx-b(i think, theres a reference floating around on wiki somewhere) for the data format.

The uk chips are literally just a serial number, so once you can read that you can code your door scanner :)

US stuff isnt compatible with UK stuff.

Thanks! So this another case of "the good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from" :smiling_imp:

I guess I'll get one of these cheap 125kHz readers and see if it reads my cats before buying something that I can mount to the cat flap and connect to an Arduino.

I doubt the vet knows any technical details. They know how to implant it and how to use their specific reader. Not how the chip works. Though I can ask next time I'm there.

You can start with their reader then. Go back to manufacturer's website and see what frequency is in use.

maybe look at the unit your vet uses, pretty likely that its operating frequency will be written on it, or failling that you get a model number you can google :)

Thanks. Good point. Even if the vet doesn't know, these things should have the frequency printed on the label. I'll ask next time.

I am undertaking a similar project. Did you find a RFID reader that worked well on UK cat tags?

Regards

Daniel

Hi. I was sure I had updated this thread. Apparently not... :confused:

I bought a cheap 125kHz reader on ebay but that one doesn't work. Nothing at all happens when I hold it next to the chip in my cats. For reference, it was this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281337935262?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have now parked this project. It was just something I want to do eventually but there's other stuff that needs to be done before I return to this. I'll do more research later when I get the time (and after I've been to the vet again). Maybe someone else will find a suitable reader in the meantime. ;-)

scrumfled:
US stuff isnt compatible with UK stuff.

Absolute rubbish. I used to design RFID readers for a living for both the UK and US markets, they both have the same sets of standards and are fully compatible with each other.

The sort of chips they use in pet chips are of the 125 - 135 KHz region. There are various ways of encoding the data on them depending what chip manufacturer is used. I have seen both EM chips an TI chips in the glass capsule form. Both use different standards, you need to know what you are dealing with and the Vet will know. If he does not then he is a very poor Vet. I don’t mean he will be able to tell you the standard the tags use but he will know the manufacturer and part number, you can track the standard down from that.

I dont know if you have seen this but this seems to be pretty much what you're asking for?

http://www.instructables.com/id/RFID-cat-door/

jake912: I dont know if you have seen this but this seems to be pretty much what you're asking for?

http://www.instructables.com/id/RFID-cat-door/

This is roughly what I had in mind (mainly knowing which cat is in and which is out, but I might as well control access while I'm at it). However, this requires FRID tags on a collar. But my older cat WILL NOT wear a collar. That's why I wanted to do it using the implanted chip. It's way easier with the tag as you can just buy matching tags for the reader you use.

I know it's possible because there are commercial cat flaps that read the microchip. But that wouldn't be much of a challenge (only financially :D )

well you could use the idea from that site, then if you can scan your cats RFID tag then you will find the tag ID, you could then insert code that defines that if it reads this tag then to do an action, in your case opening the cat door?

Yes, certainly. And thanks for posting it... I didn't mean it was useless.. :D I particularly like the idea of installing the antenna around the opening. Then 3D-print a whole new cat flap around it...

Perhaps this may be of use?

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/24481/134-2-khz-rfid-reader-for-arduino

Brings a whole new dimension to the term "cat scan"...

I manage to build a handheld reader using an ATMEGA328 that can read FDX-B chips, decode the data and display it on a LCD screen. The read range still needs improvement, but I have tested on my pets and I am able to successfully detect and read their implants

http://www.gizmolab.co.za/animal-rfid-reader/

Thanks for that! I'll have a closer look and see if I can use this for my project. ;-)

For others interested in read write capabilities you can buy a commercial handheld writer/reader from aliexpress for $38.60. I had been considering my own Arduino and did some research which ultimately kept leading back to here which appears an unfinished or development project. Eventually finding one overseas that negates the expense of building one. They have all sorts of variations available including ST projects and Arduino and some you can use for projects like the commercial $75 locking pet door. Hope this helps others who get steered over here looking for an inexpensive solution. As much as we all like to build in certain cases it’s not always the best route and will lead to months of frustration.

chrichri101: I manage to build a handheld reader using an ATMEGA328 that can read FDX-B chips, decode the data and display it on a LCD screen. The read range still needs improvement, but I have tested on my pets and I am able to successfully detect and read their implants

http://www.gizmolab.co.za/animal-rfid-reader/