RFID to URL

Greetings, I'm super new to Arduino and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have an RFID RC-522 and Arduino set-up working and need get my RFID scan to open either a website or html file on my computer. My coding knowledge is minimal, but I learn by diving in. Point me in a direction?

Thanks

need get my RFID scan to open either a website or html file on my computer.

Only the browser on your computer can do that. The Arduino can't make the browser do anything.

The Arduino could wear an ethernet shield and serve up a different web page, based on which RFID tag was scanned, but that doesn't really seem useful.

The Arduino could wear an ethernet shield and make different GET requests, based on which RFID tag was scanned, but that doesn't really seem useful, either.

If you have a Leonardo or Micro, the Arduino can act as a Keyboard, and type to your computer. With the appropriate app listening, the app could understand that it needed to point the browser at a specific web page.

RFID activated content is definitely a real thing....

The ethernet shield seems like a good option, thanks I'll start looking into that.

So it's looking like what I want to do can be accomplished by having javascript monitor the usb rfid and open pages based on rfid scan. Any more insights are greatly appreciated.

monitor the usb rfid

So what is that then? You seem to have a loose understanding of how things work.

RFID activated content is definitely a real thing....

Only if something is expecting an RFID input and can then select doing something in receipt of an RFID tag number.

The ethernet shield seems like a good option,

No I would go for something that listens to the serial port, and have the Arduino send any received RFID tag numbers to the serial port.

javascript monitor the usb rfid

You can do this in any language not just javascript.

Yes, as I have explained many times, I have a loose understanding of all of this. I'm here trying to learn. You seem to get irritated easily.

You seem to get irritated easily.

You think so? This is polite mode, see what happens when you start ignoring what I say.

I'm here because i'm interested in learning. Can you help?

Can you help?

I am helping. If you think I am not I will go away.

Keyboard.press(0x80); delay (100); Keyboard.press('t'); Keyboard.releaseAll(); Keyboard.print("http://blahblah.blah.com"); Keyboard.press(KEY_RETURN); delay (5000);

abarboza: So it's looking like what I want to do can be accomplished by having javascript monitor the usb rfid and open pages based on rfid scan. Any more insights are greatly appreciated.

In my experience the hardest part of projects like this will be serial communication between the PC and the Arduino. Tackle that part first and the rest should be fairly straightforward.

I've had good results with Python's PySerial module. If you already know JavaScript, picking up the Python you need should be easy.

I don't think that @abarboza has not been waiting for 1.5 years. But one never knows.