RFM69HCW with radiohead library - Operating Question

So this is going to sound a little strange. I have a rfm69hcw transiever connected to an atmega1284p mcu, and powered by way of an LDO regulator, and I am trying to find a way to undo the RF69.init() function. That's the goal here is the information and the problem:

if the radio has been initialized RF69.init(), then even if I have turned off the power to the radio by way of the LDO regulator. The MCU continues to draw 35mA in power down mode.
if the radio has not been initialized No RF69.init(), and I turn the power off to the radio with the LDO regulator then the consumption of the MCU during powerdown mode is around 1-5uA.

I know the cause and the effect, but I can't quite wrap my head around the why. Somehow the RF69.init() function is setting the mcu to some task, which doesn't end even if the radio is turned off and the mcu is placed into... well any of the sleep modes. (I have confirmed there is no power going to the radio). I'm wondering if anyone knows how to undo what the RF69.init() function is doing.

Are you aware that if you turn off the power to the rfm69 then all its connected I\O pins are effectivly shorted to ground ?

Shorting I\O pins that are being driven high to ground can be expected to cause a high current state.

Showing the forum the schematic would help.

The RFM69 has a sleep function. Likely to work a lot better than trying to power it on/off.

You were right on the money about the powered down radio creating a short to ground. I was attempting to get the current consumption as low as possible. I have managed to push it to 3-4uA, but of course with my SPI devices sleeping rather than turned off at the LDO that consumption is back to 90uA....grrrr. What I had thought was that if while I had the system asleep I could disable the SPI, write MISO,MOSI, SCK, and SS LOW/HIGH and turn off at the LDO and maximize my power savings. Unfortunately that did not work, but 90uA in standby mode (power down mode is unstable- don't ask long story lol). will work fine and takes me well past the time that the batteries need to last. Thank you for your help :).

A large part of that may be the quiescent current of your regulator.

Saving power by removing the power to devices takes a great deal of care and time to work out on a breadboarded circuit. Especially with bus devices such as SPI or I2C, the powered off device can easily drag a great deal of current.

Far better to use a devices sleep mode where it has one. The RFM69 has a sleep current of typical 0.1uA, so with readily available LDOs, total sleep current of a RFM69 and 1284P based device should be 2uA or less.