RFM95 Radio Modules

Good morning guys unsure as to whether this is the correct part of the forum for this, so apologies in advance.

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with RFM95 radio modules and arduino.
I want to know how far you've managed to send a signal and how youve done it, I am currently using the radio head library for these radios and im lucky if i 1.5km out of them. i have tried various setting in software and have used both 1/4 & 1/2 wave antennas but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for you advice
Andy

Older versions of the Radiohead library did not configure the LoRa device correctly for the built in long distance mode, the latest, 1.82 appears to be correct.

The range you get depends on a number of factors;

the antennas
antenna height
how the antennas are connected
the LoRa settings (bandwidth, spreading factor, coding rate)
the location
Whats between transmitter and receiver
the transmit power you are using.

srnet:
Older versions of the Radiohead library did not configure the LoRa device correctly for the built in long distance mode, the latest, 1.82 appears to be correct.

The range you get depends on a number of factors;

the antennas
antenna height
how the antennas are connected
the LoRa settings (bandwidth, spreading factor, coding rate)
the location
Whats between transmitter and receiver
the transmit power you are using.

Thanks for reply srnet.

Ive just checked i am using the latest version of the radio head library. i also understand the relevance of what else you have said too.

The tests i have performed is that i get stronger signal strength for a larger distance just using a solid core wire attached to the radio ant pin, when i attach a proper antenna my rssi drop from -20 to around -40 , unable to understand why this happens tho. i have one arduino attached to the side of my house atop a 3m ariel pole so a total of 8 meters high , the tx power for both is set at 23 and using the default modem config i have also used other variations but still no improvement

andyroo21:
Thanks for reply srnet.

Ive just checked i am using the latest version of the radio head library. i also understand the relevance of what else you have said too.

The tests i have performed is that i get stronger signal strength for a larger distance just using a solid core wire attached to the radio ant pin, when i attach a proper antenna my rssi drop from -20 to around -40 , unable to understand why this happens tho. i have one arduino attached to the side of my house atop a 3m ariel pole so a total of 8 meters high , the tx power for both is set at 23 and using the default modem config i have also used other variations but still no improvement

If you attach a 'proper antenna' and its worse then its either not a proper antenna or its not connected properly.

You need to sort that problem first.