RGB Led Fade Based on Mobo Temperature Sensor

Hi all, new here. Just ordered an Arduino Duemilanove that should be coming in the next 2 weeks.

Anyhow, the first thing I want to do is try to hook it up to about 5 common anode RGB LEDs, and would like to program it so that the RGB LEDs change colors (fading between them in the process) based on the temperature readings from my computer's motherboard. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

I noticed the fella from this thread arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1239886104/30 was doing something similar, however, the topic hasn't been updated in nearly a year and did not have a conclusion to it :(

Anyway, please let me know where to start, thanks all!

googling for "how to read motherboard temp source" first hit brought up a visual basic script that more or less shows how to access the temp data from within windows

using a program like that you could feed data to the duino via serial which would control the led

Cool, thanks.

Do I need any capacitors or anything?

capacitors no, anything well..

depending on what you have resistors to limit the current for the 3 led's (its 3 in 1 package)

and depending on how many your trying to deal with maybe transistors and their resistors

ah shoot, thats what i meant, resistors, not capacitors. the site i bought the rgb leds from, are 5mm types but didnt say how many amps it can take. is it pretty much trial and error then?

anyway, thanks for entertaining this thread for me, i got to wait for the adruino board to come to test out the temperature reading from the mobo.