RGB Matrix Shield

Hi! My first post in this forum, i wasn’t sure in which forum to post so im gonna try here.

I have been working in a project to teach myself programming in the Arduino, it’s an RGB Matrix driven by shift registers with many features:

• 24 brightness levels for each color for a total of 13,824 possible colors
  • Color control by Hue, Saturation and Lightness or RGB
  • External 256Kb ram for layer or frame storage.
  • Layer system with masks, overlays to create graphics ( for example you can draw a background gradient with text scrolling on top of it)
  • Animation system, up to 1000 frame animation.
  • text scrolling
  • i2c slave interface for control
  • Display a text message
  • Receive an animation and display it
  • Complete control of graphic library (layers, masks, overlay)
  • After text scroll, animation, or graphic operations had been received, all processing is done by the shield.

After finishing it i though it could be great as an independent display for the arduino, so I developed it as a shield, but then i came across the Sparkfun Serial RGB Matrix. But still i think my shield offers way more abstraction that may be useful to someone.

So i want to know if anyone is interested in the shield. If enough people are interested i’ll make one batch.

I’m going to post a video tomorrow of it working! Still in breadboard.

Sounds good. There are a few matrix shields hanging around. One is mentioned on here but there are a lot of other shields you might want to look at to give yourself inspiration as to how yours might look/function.
http://www.duinoaday.co.uk/shields.html#L

Mowcius

Is it possible to controll a 16X16 RBG Matrix with 3 TLC5940 and two 74HC595 ?

The cathodes wired to the TLC5940 and the anodes wired to the 74HC595 ?

RGB Leds are common anode.

Is it possible to controll a 16X16 RBG Matrix with 3 TLC5940 and two 74HC595 ?

Yes

The cathodes wired to the TLC5940

Yes

and the anodes wired to the 74HC595 ?

No the 74HC595 can’t supply enough current for this many LEDs, you have to have a top side driver here like a PNP transistor or p-channel FET.