Hi @bastler59. Thanks for taking the time to give the beta phase Arduino IDE 2.x a try!
There have been some recent improvements to the Arduino Language Server that provides the "Go To Definition" capability for the IDE. This includes a fix for the bug you are experiencing.
Those improvements are not in the 2.0.0-beta12 release. They are available in the latest 2.0.0-rc1 release. That release is not yet published on the arduino.cc Software page, but you can get it directly from the Arduino IDE 2.x repository on GitHub:
The downloads are in the "Assets" section of that page.
Feedback is welcome.
a more general observation:
First start of IDE takes up to 12 seconds until splash screen comes up. My computer has an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz, enough memory and a silent but strong cooler/fan. Arduino IDE is installed on a m.2 PCIe SSD. So I don't believe my computer is too old and too slow.
Also after first start IDE don't find a connected board. Of course Windows device manager shows it with correct COM-port. I have to shut down IDE and restart, now it takes only 2 seconds for splash screen and board is recognized.
I wasn't able to reproduce it. Which board do you have selected in the IDE?
That is not a mistake. That is the intentional design of the clangd language server that produces the editor hover content in the IDE.
It even renders Markdown markup in the documentation comments, so you can enhance the hover text with formatting as needed.
This bug is being tracked by the Arduino IDE developers here:
OK, I tried it and the "Go to definition" is working for me on that board also.
Are you able to compile the sketch?
Do you see a progress indicator at the bottom right corner of the Arduino IDE window?:
This shows the activity of the Arduino Language Server, which is the tool that provides this "Go to Definition" capability. I have found that it sometimes gets stuck in this "indexing" state forever, and that can cause it to stop working, and with it all the "smart" IDE features that rely on it. The progress indicator will appear after every change to make to the code, but it should finish within a matter of seconds, after which there will be no text in that location on the left side of the status bar.
Well, it could just as easily be that I'm the only one without the problem.
As a beta tester, I find myself in the interesting position of actually being disappointed when I'm not affected by a bug. But the IDE is a very complex application and everyone's system is a little different. This is why the testing and feedback from the large Arduino community is so valuable.