Rlc circuit transient

Hi everyone! I’m trying to create a rlc circuit with Arduino for a university project but I’m really bad and new in this world so I need some help…I have to analyse the transient of a rlc circuit series and create a sketch to measure voltage of resistor, capacitor and induttance in the three different cases. Teorically I’ve already done a simulation with ltspice, but with Arduino nothing works. Could you help me with the physical creation of the circuit and the sketch? I’m a bit desperate. Many thanks!!

An Arduino may be a bit too slow for that project, unless you use additional analog maximum value capture for the signals. But then you still are missing the phase shift. What’s your testing frequency?

Your description is somewhat unclear, please provide a circuit diagram of your device.

Have you already been looking for existing Arduino component tester projects on the web?

Ok well, this is a diagram of the circuit. I’ve to generate a square wave between 0 and 5 V with Arduino to measure voltages of the resistence, the capacitor and the induttance. Then, with data measured, i’ve to create graphics to show how voltages develpos in time for the three components. I’ve chosen this values of R, C and L : 100 Ohm, 220 nF and 10 mH. In this case voltages of R and C have this graphics on ltspice:

This is the task, extracting data of voltages with Arduino with this values of componets to recreate graphics shown.

The blue one is the difference of voltage of capacitor, connected to the ground, while the red one is voltages of the resistence, so the difference between the voltage of R and C measured to the ground.

I have an arduino uno with many values of R C and L, so i can change them easily

Hi, @mrsamu18

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled “How to use this Forum”.
OR

Then look down to “code problems” about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

How are you connecting the UNO to each of the components to measure the voltage across each one?

Can you post a circuit diagram of you UNO project?

If you have transients higher than 5V, are you using a potential divider to scale the input down?
The UNO analog input does not tolerate any input higher than 5V.
Have you a scope to verify your measurements in real life?

Tom… :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Hi, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I don’t know how to connect different components with cables to the Arduino Uno…and I’ve not written a sketch yet. I’m really new in Arduino and my professor didn’t teach anything about it, I’m working alone at home because of pandemic… I have some ideas based on a sketch of RC circuit done few month ago, but it doesn’t work. For the voltage the professor told me to put a simple stilo of 1.5 V to make Arduino measure voltage high of 5 V and less of 0 V, but I don’t know how to connect it…

How many samples per second must the Arduino collect in order to find the extreme values and their exact timing? Show a stretched diagram of one edge of the rectangle from which the timing of the pulses can be determined.

Hi,

Do you have an Arduino Uno at home to use.
I would suggest you forget about your project, for the moment, and get programming some simple code to get used to the Arduino environment.

Do you mean a single period of the graphic? What do you mean with samples per second? Number of points measured in a period?

Hi,
What course are you doing?
What year?

Second year of physics university. The theorical model of an rlc circuit is really simple or even the simulation with ltspice or other simulators. I’ve tried to modify the sketch of RC circuit introducing a new analogread and defining a new pin but it doesn’t work. I don’t know how to connect components with cables too.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.