Road Speed limit project

Hello, I'ts my first post here, so dont get mad if it's not the right subforum for this topic. I would just like some ideas/opinions for my project, because maybe I am forgetting something.

What I am trying to build, is a Speed limit notification system that can sense my location and speed using GPS then compare it to defined speed for the current road using algorithm then send data over GSM network to my webserver or mobile phone warning me if i exceed the speed limit .

What I need to achieve (and my plans to do so) are:

1. Arduino Uno

2. GPS module because i dont find any GPS shields
    Zero Ohm Electronics - State of the Art Supplier and Service Provider

3. GSM shield for network connection or sms sending

http://www.zeroohm.ae/Arduino-GSM-Shield-2-integrated-antenna?search=gsm

Is these parts good ? I'm working on this project alone, maybe I have missed something, maybe theres a better solution for something, maybe someone else has some great ideas they are willing to share, regarding this idea and how to pull it off.

Thanks all
and sorry about my english

What is wrong with using a regular car GPS? This also exists in the form of a tracker, which notifies Dad when Son is speeding.

Where are you getting the speed limit database from?

there is no source .
actually,this is a school project, the idea is to create a device that tracks a car's speeds and omits a message to the driving control authority, in case the car exceeds the speed limit.

so i will defined maybe two or three roads using this techniques and define any speed i want

up
any suggestions please

MohammadKayed:
What I am trying to build, is a Speed limit notification system that can sense my location and speed using GPS then compare it to defined speed for the current road using algorithm then send data over GSM network to my webserver or mobile phone warning me if i exceed the speed limit .

That sounds like something that could more easily be done in an app that is completely within the phone. I can't see any role for an Arduino.

...R

I know that but they want it as a device built inside the car
so i want to ask if the idea is good , also if the parts will fit

You need to answer the second question in reply #1.

there is no data base i will just defined maybe two or three roads using this techniques and define any speed i want

don't know the parts but they seem OK. Be sure to get a library for it and/or code examples.

Get familiar with haver sine to calculate distances from coordinates

furthermore you need to get a position reading e.g. every 5 seconds to be able to calculate speed.

e.g. if you measure every 10 seconds and the distance is 78.36 meter then your speed is 78.36 * 6 * 60 / 1000 = 28.2 km/hr

in general if you measure distance d in t seconds the speed == (3.6 * d / t) km/hr

I am not going to offer any help, only because I have no experience with the parts you are discussing.

My comment is a bit political. I tend to not comment on any posts that would create an automated watcher system that the government can use.

The "Law of Unintended Consequences" has play a very real role in Man's history. People who do not want to participate in being tracked will use older cars that get less gas milage, pollute more and are more dangerous because they are worn out. If you just happen to be going with traffic and maybe an ambulance or police car or fire truck is racing to give aid to someone, you can give yourself a ticket, or refuse to drive to that speed and someone may die. no one will ever go to jail, or maybe know that someone died because a fire truck was one minute late.

May I offer that tracking fuel use, speed, hills, etc, you could find the most economical speed of an engine/car and offer the driver a green light to say they are driving as efficiently as possible ?

if you pursue your project ( and there is no reason for you not to) may I offer that transient speed violations should be brought to the drivers attention before they get a ticket. well in advance, and with enough warning that the driver can correct their actions ?

my post, as useless as it is, may offer some insight into why others may not be as forthcoming with help.
we are VERY cautious to help people do things we find undesirable. like playing with mains voltages.

My comment is a bit political. I tend to not comment on any posts that would create an automated watcher system that the government can use.

That must be pretty difficult as almost anything can be used for good, bad and ugly purposes.

In the Netherlands trucks have already for years a sort of black box that track their driving, most logistics firms even track live both truck and cargo. Furthermore many expensive cars must have a live tracker(s) against theft otherwise they do not get insurance ...

I am looking forward to driverless cars. The we won't need to own a car or have a driving licence.

If you want the use of car you just order one and it comes to your door - and goes away when you are finished with it so you don't need to pave your garden to make a parking space.

A group of friends could all order red or green cars to go to a stag/hen party - or white cars for a wedding.

If you need a big car to take all the kids for a birthday treat you can have one. Or a small car just to go somewhere on your own.

...R

Robin2:
I am looking forward to driverless cars. The we won't need to own a car or have a driving licence.

If you want the use of car you just order one and it comes to your door - and goes away when you are finished with it so you don't need to pave your garden to make a parking space.

A group of friends could all order red or green cars to go to a stag/hen party - or white cars for a wedding.

If you need a big car to take all the kids for a birthday treat you can have one. Or a small car just to go somewhere on your own.

But what happens when the program fails and it rams the car in front at 3 times the speed limit, or it decides to reverse in a one way street? No OS that complicated is perfect, ask Microsoft. :o

Henry_Best:
But what happens when the program fails and it rams the car in front at 3 times the speed limit, or it decides to reverse in a one way street?

Airbus and Boeing seem to manage quite well. Perhaps their customers pay better than Microsoft's customers.

In any case, even lousy software has to be a lot safer than human drivers. Why, it could probably send SMS messages without taking its eyes off the road :slight_smile:

...R

robtillaart:
don't know the parts but they seem OK. Be sure to get a library for it and/or code examples.

Get familiar with haver sine to calculate distances from coordinates

furthermore you need to get a position reading e.g. every 5 seconds to be able to calculate speed.

e.g. if you measure every 10 seconds and the distance is 78.36 meter then your speed is 78.36 * 6 * 60 / 1000 = 28.2 km/hr

in general if you measure distance d in t seconds the speed == (3.6 * d / t) km/hr

I will download the library ,
I think the gps give me the speed directly why I need this formula ?

Do I need external supply or usb cable enough for now ?

Robin2:

...R

a visionary.
now, if you patented the idea, you would be the next automotive mogul

Robin2:

I am looking forward to moving to a community in which transportation does not necessarily involve a car, driverless or otherwise.

dave-in-nj:
I am not going to offer any help, only because I have no experience with the parts you are discussing.

The "Law of Unintended Consequences" has play a very real role in Man's history. People who do not want to participate in being tracked will use older cars that get less gas milage, pollute more and are more dangerous because they are worn out. If you just happen to be going with traffic and maybe an ambulance or police car or fire truck is racing to give aid to someone, you can give yourself a ticket, or refuse to drive to that speed and someone may die. no one will ever go to jail, or maybe know that someone died because a fire truck was one minute late.

May I offer that tracking fuel use, speed, hills, etc, you could find the most economical speed of an engine/car and offer the driver a green light to say they are driving as efficiently as possible ?

if you pursue your project ( and there is no reason for you not to) may I offer that transient speed violations should be brought to the drivers attention before they get a ticket. well in advance, and with enough warning that the driver can correct their actions ?

my post, as useless as it is, may offer some insight into why others may not be as forthcoming with help.
we are VERY cautious to help people do things we find undesirable. like playing with mains voltages.

I respect your point of view but this is school project ; simple one

Determining the speed is the easy part. The more complicated part is knowing what road the car is on. This is because the position from the GPS won't be exactly "on" one of your road (due to rounding and precision errors). Likewise, if the car is near or on an intersection, the calculations might not be able to determine which road the car is on.

Your best bet is to represent the roads as straight road segments (using latitude and longitude for the endpoints). Then to determine which road the car is on, you'll need to calculate which road segment is closest. You'll have to use some geometry for this, calculating a line perpendicular to each segment that intersects with the car's current position. The shortest one is probably the right one. If, however, there are several close together (e.g., the car is near an intersection or joint between segments), you'll have to look at the direction of travel and compare with the angle of the line segments to pick out the right one.

Once you know which segment is closest, you can look up the speed limit for that segment.

--Doug

Have you seen Adafruit's FONA 808 Shield?

It's a GMS module with built in GPS. One nice thing about using Adafruit devices is they usually have great demo code for the device.

As others have suggested, this would likely be easier and less expensive if you used an Android smartphone. I have a FONA and I think they're cool gizmos but by the time you add a display, battery and enclosure, it would have been less expensive to purchase an Android.