Road vehicle passing counter

Hi everyone

I have a project that will be responsible for counting the number of vehicles passing on one road using Arduino. I want your suggestions for the kind of technology or sensor that i can use to detect, and also is that technology or sensor is capable of handling the weight and the pressure of the cars?

Any suggestions will be appreciated Thanks in advance

a light beam that is broken by the car can count them (laser?)

another way is you have a hose with water and a pressure sensor on the end. If a car runs over it the change in pressure is an indicative signature of its weight and speed.

pulse is __/--_ - the length of the pulse => speed (calibrate with your own car) - the height of the pulse => weight (callibrate with a few known cars)

Note that weight is the weight per axis, so a 1200KG 3 axis car will weight 400 per axis while a 1200kg 2 axis car ......(fill in your thoughts)

If you can modify the road, you can bury an inductive sensor, that is what is done on roads. The sensor senses metals and gives you pulses. If your road has just one lane, then maybe laser will work. You may distract the drivers though.

The road crews around here all use some type of hose with a pressure sensor on one end, as Robtillart said.

Depending on where you live, you may also want to consider the fact that in today's overly paranoid society, people tend to think that random devices on the side of the road must be bombs.

wizdum: Depending on where you live, you may also want to consider the fact that in today's overly paranoid society, people tend to think that random devices on the side of the road must be bombs.

Only if you try to hide them. Make it huge, paint it bright orange and have some LEDs blink and people will not even notice it.

A hose will measure the number of axles that pass over it. Some vehicles have two axles, others have more.

A single light beam will count a person the same as a vehicle. A pair of beams far enough apart so that a human can't block both at the same time might be an answer to that problem.

I am very concerned about the potential of lasers to damage eyesight of people and wildlife.

...R

Ditto about the lasers. They can reflect at unpredictable angles from chrome or reflective paint and guess who ends up in court?

Cheap ultrasonic sensors are good to about 4.5 meters and give distance. For a 2 lane road you could set 1 on each side but not across from each other.

A bright light on one side with a light sensor behind an aperture or in a tube to limit the sense angle would work as a beam interrupt if it is a 1 lane road.

Air hoses are what gas stations have long used to signal someone entering the pump area. Hoses could be placed from either side of a 2 lane road but again, each set of wheels would act as a trigger.

How about noise detectors in parabolic reflectors aimed down at where tire noise would be the main source?

If you can dig the road a bit and measure during day when the sky is bright then try rows of light sensors set in the road. Not just 1 per lane though or a car dripping oil or other fluid (radiator overflow, tranny fluid) might take that out.

You might be able using conductive paint and cable, to make a capacitive sensor per lane. I can't imagine that a car wouldn't show up though calibrating out falses might take some discovery as well as work.