Robot alignment using compass and sensors?

Hello all. I’m pretty new to this stuff but learning up as fast as I can. I’ve been pondering something for a few days here and wonder if someone here can tell me if it’s possible. In thinking of something like a robot snowblower, is it possible to use a boundary wire and sensors along with compass heading info to align a wheeled or tracked chassis to a specific heading - presumably parallel to the edge of the sidewalk?

I don’t really need to know how right now, just if it’s a possibility. I could bury a BWF to cross the sidewalk as well so once we hit the end of my property it can be programmed to come back. I’m also contemplating a way to use the compass data to turn “x” degrees at specific points so I can program it to make parallel passes with minimal overlap.

Am I thinking too deep here? it seems like I should be able to manually program a route to cover my walk and drive, no?

Thanks for anyone willing to pontificate with me here.

Use the forum search box in the upper right of this page and search for "lawn mower robot" and similar terms to see similar past projects.