Robot arm with linear actuators

I want to design a robotic arm as shown in the attached picture but I have no idea how to calculate the force requirement of the linear actuators
Previously designed one with DC motors and found several tutorials on calculating the torque requirement and appropriate motor selection but cant find anything on this type of arm

Screenshot from 2015-02-09 16:45:47.png

Definitely need to learn simple mechanics (the branch of mathematics concerning forces, movement, torque, friction...). Start from the fingertips and calculate back to the shoulder with static loads and then again with maximum estimated dynamic loads.

Mechanics is the essential maths for robotics, there will be some good tutorials

can you give me a link to a relevant tutorial? I dont even know what i am looking for

uneebishfaq: can you give me a link to a relevant tutorial? I dont even know what i am looking for

Look for "mechanics".... not as in auto repair, but as a branch of physics or applied maths.

You don't need much more than high school science stuff tbh, so if you can find one of those high school tutor sites you'll be good to go.

There's a maths site called purplemath (? iirc): not sure if it covers the applied side of maths like forces and friction and torque and whatnot.

My daughter who just finished high school recommends this site for that physics stuff. South African school syllabus, but Newton is Newton I guess.

Possible ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=robotic+arm+actuator

JimboZA: South African school syllabus, but Newton is Newton I guess.

Except when it's a dyne.

MorganS: Except when it's a dyne.

I meant Newton as the bloke, not necessarily the unit 8)

MorganS: Except when it's a dyne.

The word Newton is a person's name, whereas a newton is a unit of force. Note the lower case.