robot lawn mower

want to build a real robot lawn mower. starting with a honda 216 5.5hp self propelled lawn mower. The mower has a mechanical gear box, driven by an out put shaft from the motor, I want to remove the gearbox and use 2 x 18volt? dc motors for for the drive, maybe hook an alternator onto the out put drive for charging batts, use an uno to control with an GY-9150 MPU-9150 doing the spatial stuff, orienting from a fixed marker(optical sensor) maybe gps too

the idea is that the unit will learn the cutting area and then be able to autominously cut again, maybe using gps to recognize the address, thought I’d use some sort of optical marker (hole drilled in kerb?) as a starting reference

So is this do-able or am I dreamining?

Do a search and read the pages already written on the subject.
OTOH you could put people through the whole process yet again just to waste time.

You didn't mention your programming experience or your third-party insurance cover.

really dont understand the hostlility

my experience is as a tv tech director (skynews au, TCN nine, Global television to name a few) My electronics is basic. My programming ablilites are probably about the same, did basic at school blah blah BUT I am pretty sure I can work it out. Would love some help from people, I think it is a shame that I got hostile responses for asking a question. I just want some advice

welocome to the list

we are here to help with problems you encounter.
our preference is that you ask basic concept questions on this forum.

you did good on the subject line. we do appreciate that.
you did good on asking and not rambling, well done there too.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html
is what I would have posted if you were truly unintelligible.

As for the hostility, I think you caught us before that second cup of coffee this morning.

What my esteemed colleagues are saying is that others have done similar things and you should be able to get a really good start on your project by reading the other threads on this very topic.

on any page, upper right, there is a search bar. this uses google to search all of this site for possible answers and what others have found.

if you read some of the past posts, you will get an idea what others have done and what is needed to get your project to work.

I have a manual riding mower that has a large disk for the transmission. think a small pizza. then there is a small wheel that rides on that. the closer the small wheel is to the center the slower the drive wheels go, the further to the outside the faster. this would mean that to speed up, I would only have to move the smaller wheel and not try to do gear changes.
I have no plans to automate it.

good luck and hope you achieve great success !

When you have questions on your project that have you stumped, I think you will find the same guys you met this morning will be very helpful in helping you work out those problems.

I checked out your threads, thanks but they were 7 yrs old I will try to work it out myself

cheers

Every year the robot mower comes up. How many read what came before and don't need explanations typed out that have not already been? All the ones that ask specific questions or refer to previous discussions or found their answers, it's saved me a lot of asking.

If you read first, you can avoid a lot of dead ends and have a better discussion.
You might decide that you don't want to explain how it wouldn't go wrong to a judge.

My programming ablilites are probably about the same, did basic at school blah blah BUT I am pretty sure I can work it out. Would love some help from people, I think it is a shame that I got hostile responses for asking a question. I just want some advice

If you read the previous postings on the subject, you may find you will not easily develop a way for the mower to know where it is in the yard. lots of automated mowers and similar on Google and youtube. Start with the project critical point of position determination. After that things would start getting easier. Start with an arduino setup you can move about in your yard and accurately know where you are.

jackrat:
I checked out your threads, thanks but they were 7 yrs old I will try to work it out myself

cheers

Robotic navigation and mapping is a field of research that is well over 60 years old; indeed, it is likely much older.

7 years? Pfft - a drop in the bucket (and I can guarantee that most of those threads discuss methods and ideas that have been tried long before in the past in robotics, and have been found mostly lacking).

The methods that do work (to a certain degree of accuracy) - are ones that will require you to have more than a basic familiarity with software and hardware develop (not to mention a good understanding of linear algebra and probabilities/statistics).

This isn't a trivial problem to solve. The number of books and research papers written on the subject could easily fill several bookshelves. I have posted several times in the past about this problem, and potential avenues of research and education someone could take which might lead them toward a path of better understanding of the problem and the myriad current solutions toward it.

jackrat:
really dont understand the hostlility

Welcome!

I am SO tempted to be a total d*ck and respond with a super aggressive and hostile response but it would only be out of fun, I don't want to rain on your parade.

The robotic mower is a classic. Who doesn't want to sit back and enjoy watching a lawn get mowed by itself! I remember reading an article about one in "Radio Electronics" when I was about 12 years old. I just googled it and there is actually a scanned version of the old magazines online, it was called the "Lawn Ranger". Classic.

Good luck!

--Dan

Having not seen all the previous threads, I'll toss in my little tidbit, and may help steer the OP in a direction that is helpful.

Most of the commercial robotic lawnmowers I have seen (I looked into this years ago, before I knew arduino existed, had a general idea with using LEGO mindstorms) used a system similar if not identical to invisible fence systems for dogs. An underground wire is laid around the perimeter of the area to be mowed, and when the mower encountered the wire, it would change direction.

Also, for safety, the blades were plastic with swiveling razor blades on the ends, so if they did encounter something other than grass, they would bounce off with minor damage caused. This does mean though that it will not do heavy cutting, but a constant trimming.

Reading material:

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=mower&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl