robot problem

hi guys. quick question ive rebuilt my robot many times with no success. before i go.any further i was wondering if this is my problem. i am using a 74hc595n. is that the problem. if not that im assuming it has to be the batteries or lack of. the code is good the wiring is good ive done many projects amd followed all directions but can never get motors to.move. my sensors would.work but no motors. thanks

You should use dedicated motor H-bridge to drive motor. 74hc595 just docent have output capable to directly drive motor.

Hi. For us to give you any reliable answer.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png or pdf?

Can you please post a copy of your sketch, using code tags? Please use code tags.. See section 7 http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

Also a picture of your project will be helpfull. If you use REPLY rather than QUICK REPLY you will find in the lower left corner ATTACHMENT option. If your sketch is too big to use code tags, you can attach it as an ino file.

Tom...... :)

ok so the74hc595n wont work? is that not the right piece. before i post the code and waste everyones time. or can i use that?

Hi jmaderer,

You can use a "L298N" it's easy to use and there is several examples on the internet, perfect to build a robot. A lot of power, 2 motors compatible and other several options.

Do you have a multimeter? is power going to the motor?

How much power is required for your motors? Do the motors have their own power supply, i.e. not drawing power directly from arduino? how much power can an Arduino supply?

As others are saying, you may want to build or buy an h-bridge. You can build them real cheap for a small motor. Look them up.

im not very familiar im just learning i watched utube videos how to make robot. i jus wanted to.know if the one im using will work or if i actually am using wromg controller and thats why it doesmt work

Google for an h-bridge tutorial like https://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/labs/motors-and-transistors/dc-motor-control-using-an-h-bridge

Also check Wikipedia.

You can make one for a couple dollars. Also use a separate battery pack for the motors, at least until you get it working.

You could also buy an h-bridge shield but it will be more fun to make your own.