Robot who hates Light

So me and my class mates are creating a robot that uses light sensors to find the least amount of light in a room and it will go towards it. we are planing on using two RB-Dem-01 sharpGP2Y0A21YK0F IR Range Sensor - 10cm and stander ed light sensors. We are trying to understand the pros and cons between using dc motors and servo motors.

Thanks

Almost all people use brushed DC gearmotors with wheeled robots.

Standard toy motors like this one work fine for small robots, and you can buy wheels and rotation encoders that attach directly to the output shaft.

I guess you mean “continuous rotation servos” or “360 degree servos” because normal servos can’t drive anything since they only turn through about 180 degrees.

DC motors need separate motor drivers, usually H-bridges if they have to go both forward and reverse. A continuous servo has the driver built in.

So it’s down to what exactly you need e.g. how much weight are you moving and how fast. DC motors are available in a much greater range of sizes and speeds than CR servos and most robots use them but either can work.

Steve

"We are trying to understand the pros and cons between using dc motors and servo motors."

For simplicity and low cost, I'd recommend modifying the 5010 servos for continuous rotation (just remove the black plastic pot collar and clip off the rotation stop on the output gear) and use them to drive the bot wheels if the bot is not too large. They are simple to modify (see below pix), inexpensive, and have two roller bearings on the output shaft.

cr9.jpg

cr9.jpg