Robot with motion detection & ultrasonic

Hi, I'm new with Arduino, and I'll be glad that someone experienced would help me to choose the best Arduino kit for my purpose:

I'd like to build some kind of robot that has the ability to scan its environment with camera or something else, and when it detects certain object in motion (like a bird or something), it gets close to it with some distance (say X meters).

Thanks a lot, Roi

I'd like to build some kind of robot that has the ability to scan its environment with camera

The Arduino can wave the camera around. It can't do image recognition based on video data, so no Arduino would be appropriate.

when it detects certain object in motion (like a bird or something), it gets close to it

What you need is a cat.

Yeah, as implied by PaulS your question is massive and can’t just addressed in a simple statement.

Why wont you start with something ‘simple’ such as a bot following a line? Its going to be a lot of fun and you get good experience for your next robotic project.

Basically you are talking about rather complex robotic autonomous system, which may consist an ardruino board eg to ‘wave the camera’, but you will much more horsepower to manage other things such as to look around and process video.

BTW. It has been done…
Atlas, The Next Generation

Not that line following is that simple.

I'd start with sensor-less drive, except maybe for a bump switch at the front so the robot goes merely straight, perhaps with some random left-right zig-zags and it stops and reverses when it hits a wall.

Have a look at the robot chassis available, or build a simple one from a couple of pieces of plywood. If it's made of a meterial easy to work, and made with a bit of space round the Arduino, there's scope for adding different types of sensors.

pinkfish: BTW. It has been done... Atlas, The Next Generation

And even this system cheats by using giant qr-codes. ;)

PaulS: What you need is a cat.

Interesting idea :)

PaulS: The Arduino can wave the camera around. It can't do image recognition based on video data, so no Arduino would be appropriate.

Can Raspberry Pi do this job? Something else?

pinkfish: Yeah, as implied by PaulS your question is massive and can't just addressed in a simple statement.

Why wont you start with something 'simple' such as a bot following a line? Its going to be a lot of fun and you get good experience for your next robotic project.

Basically you are talking about rather complex robotic autonomous system, which may consist an ardruino board eg to 'wave the camera', but you will much more horsepower to manage other things such as to look around and process video.

BTW. It has been done... Atlas, The Next Generation

Thanks. A bot following a line sounds like a great alternative for me. Can you please suggest the required Arduino kit (board, sensors, etc.) that will fit the most to this solution? A link for a kit to purchase will be the best.

JimboZA: Not that line following is that simple.

I'd start with sensor-less drive, except maybe for a bump switch at the front so the robot goes merely straight, perhaps with some random left-right zig-zags and it stops and reverses when it hits a wall.

Have a look at the robot chassis available, or build a simple one from a couple of pieces of plywood. If it's made of a meterial easy to work, and made with a bit of space round the Arduino, there's scope for adding different types of sensors.

Can you please attach any example, if you have one, for a robot built from pieces of plywood? Thanks.

Old CD/DVDs and column-spacers can also be used to make simple bots.