Rocker Pot from a Mobility Scooter....

I’m trying to use a rocker controller form a mobility scooter. The problem I have is that it has five wires instead of just 3. If it was 3 I would know how to read the analog values…

I have connected 5v power and ground to the Black and Red wires. Then I try to do an analog read from any of the other 3 wires and I get 0 volts…

Does anyone have any ideas on how this Rocker Pot might work?

Thanks for the help!
dan

I think you'll find it's not a pot at all, it's a series of switches. You'll have to be more thorough with your multimeter to find out the logic involved.

I'm pushing 5v though it. Is it possible it could be 12v? Could I damage it by trying with 12v to power it?

So what method are you using to detect it's internal arrangement.

Powered it off an Arduino uno in used in analog read to check the different wires... All the wires just register zero or ground.

Powered it?

The red and black wite in assuming that they are the voltage and ground in

dannyboyfl: The red and black wite in assuming that they are the voltage and ground in

I think that unlikely. I'd assume that the GND never gets anywhere near that control.

Wow never though of it working like that.

What would you recomend to do to start testing it then?

Thanks for the help!

Actually I think I've just found a fairly useful document. It would appear that the black and red are, indeed, battery connections (although god knows why) and the other three are the connections to the potentiometer.

Check this out

AMAZING!!!

So if I'm reading it correctly the power supply voltage to the Rocker is 16v-35v? But then the output of the pot will max out at 4.8v, great for the analog read on the arduino...

dannyboyfl: AMAZING!!!

So if I'm reading it correctly the power supply voltage to the Rocker is 16v-35v? But then the output of the pot will max out at 4.8v, great for the analog read on the arduino...

Certainly looks like that. Expect a voltage of 2.5v for stationary. But I think you need to connect the Yellow and blue to your 5v and GND respectively. So it really doesn't give any more functionality than a normal potentiometer.

dannyboyfl: AMAZING!!!

That voltage sounds right, as mobility scooters and wheelchairs are all standard with a 24 volt DC power source (usually two 12 volt batteries wired in series).