Rotary Encoder Query

This is more of a general question (although specific to the use of rotary encoders) than a how-to-do this style question but I am curious, I have a project where I am looking at implementing pan and tilt control using stepper motors (because of the weight requirements, and also needing up to 360 degree movement on the pan, and 180 degree movement on the tilt axis).

Initially I thought about just using a steps style approach and saying start at position x, move to position y and so on, but I thought it might be better to be able to define actual degrees, that is start at 0 degrees, move to 180 degrees on the X, and start at 45 degrees on the Y and move to 90 degrees.

Anyway my question is, how reliable is using rotary encoders when the current position is stored in the EEPROM. Assuming the stepper motors are geared in such a way that the pan and tilt axis can't free spin and move unless controlled by the motor, would using rotary encoders negate the need of a calibration on boot requirement (e.g. homing / limit switches?)

Appreciate the feedback!

Merry belated Christmas, and happy holidays to all :)

my question is, how reliable is using rotary encoders when the current position is stored in the EEPROM.

My question is why is the current position held in EEPROM ?

Hi, If you wish to store the encoder position in EEprom so that you can remove power and reconnect and still know your position, you might be worth looking at Absolute Encoders.

You may have to fish for ones that will output over multiturns. But single turn Ab Encoders are worth checking out.

Tom..... :)

The only reason I thought EEPROM was so if the power was turned off it would still know the position.

Hi,

Lookup Absolute Encoders.

Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tip, Absolute encoders look like the way to go :).