Rotary encoder vs Magnetic encoder vs 360 pot

If I were to try to read movements of a chair and send that info to a motor to turn a platform elsewhere, would I be better off using rotary encoder, magnetic encoder or 360 degree pot?

considering the chair starting point could be anything I was thinking that encoders might just be the best, since I wouldn't need it that much precise or exact angle at all times.

Unless there are some better ways to do this?

What sort of resolution are you after? You hint that >360 rotation is not required.

Rotary and magnetic encoders typically use pulse counts to determine speed and angular displacement. (code wheel, optical or hall-effect sensors) e.g. measured in pulses per revolution, or degrees per pulse.

Pot encoders are linear (not steps), but areprone to a lot of other requirements, especially to handle >360 degrees.

Major advantage of a pot is that you know the absolute position, rather than just changes in position. They’re probably the easiest to read of all the solutions proposed, but may mechanically be the least reliable of all solutions (if only because there’s physical contact, parts sliding along one another, while magnetic or optical encoders are contactless).