Rotary Encoders - multiple encoders, different functions

Hey there!

First off, let me start by saying that i have next to no experience with Arduino beyond the most basic circuits and code. I'm very aware that i have no business messing with rotary encoders but i need to get something set up ASAP.

Effectively, what i am hoping to achieve is the ability to have 4 mechanical rotary encoders (with push-buttons) running on either a Pro micro or Uno board, and carry out different keyboard functions. I have gotten as far as getting all 4 encoders working but they all carry out identical functions. I'm unsure how to make for example "Function A and B" pertain to "Encoder 1" while "Function C and D" pertain to "Encoder 2" etc.

I know this may seem a little rude but i simply don't have the time required to thoroughly learn C++ etc and am simply wondering if anybody is able to provide / point me in the direction of pre-written code.

Many thanks in advance!

What does this mean?

carry out different keyboard functions

For example:

Turning Rotary encoder #1 To the left - will output keyboard button e.g "Q" - with each click.
Turning Rotary encoder #1 To the Right - will output keyboard button e.g "E" - with each click.
Turning Rotary encoder #2 To the left - will output keyboard button e.g "Z" - with each click.
Turning Rotary encoder #2 To the Right - will output keyboard button e.g "X" - with each click.

And so on, so forth.

I'd help if I could, but sorry to say I'm none the wiser.

Thanks anyway!

....anybody else?.....

Keep a counter on the encoder.
For each detent CW, increment, opposite for CCW.
Check the current count. If different from previous count is it higher or lower?
If higher send letter 'x', if lower send 'y'.
Set previous count = current count.
Same principle as IDE -> file/examples/digital/statechangedetection.

What does this mean?

output keyboard button e.g "Q"

Does it mean sending keyboard input to your computer? If so, an Uno won't work. You need something with a native USB port like 32u4, SAMD, or a Teensy.

Take a look at: Keyboard - Arduino Reference