Router on arduino

Is there any way to use a router on the arduino? Let me be more explicit, connect the arduino to the router in some wy so it can communicate with the PC as if it was on USB (not for programming purpouse just control). Or instead of a router a USB wifi-stick/card. Or any other cheap way to communicate wirellesly with the arduino.
Sorry if i'm not too exact. I know the easy way is to buy a BT shield or something similar and communicate via BT but it's kinda expensive (at least in my country). I wanna do this with stuff I allready have. Hope this is possible.

the arduino has more USB ports then one and a BT stick costs not much in china (2$) and free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/super-mini-bluetooth-2-0-adapter-dongle-vista-compatible-11866

what?....my arduino dosent have multiple USB holes...it has a USB B mother. If it was that simple believe me I would have done so allready.
Board: Dfrduino/Arduino Duemilanove 328

connect the arduino to the router in some wy so it can communicate with the PC as if it was on USB

That requires an ethernet shield.

The Arduino communicates with the PC via the serial port, which means that there needs to be an application running on the PC that monitors the serial port.

Obviously, you can't fire up that application on the router, so, you must use some mechanism that the router understands. That mechanism is http, which means that you need an ethernet shield.

is there no other way? like can I make a custom ethernet shield?...For communication I was thinking of processing (used it succesfully on usb). The router is not mandatory I just need to put space between the arduino and PC cheaply

like can I make a custom ethernet shield?

Sure. Cheaper than you can buy one? I doubt it. Will you know where the problems are if it doesn't work?

The router is not mandatory I just need to put space between the arduino and PC cheaply

A longer cord would be pretty cheap.

undertakerbro:
The router is not mandatory I just need to put space between the arduino and PC cheaply

There are several ways you can do it although I don't know what you call cheap.

You can fit a wifi shield and send/receive using TCP/IP.

You can use two Arduinos (one physically plugged into the PC) and use radio transceivers for the Arduinos to talk to each other (this is the cheapest option excluding the cost of the two Arduinos). Or Bluetooth, if your PC already has a Bluetooth adapter.

You can buy a wireless remote USB port. This is something that plugs into a USB port, that talks wirelessly to another box that has a USB port, and magically makes it look as if that thing was physically plugged into the PC.

undertakerbro:
is there no other way? like can I make a custom ethernet shield?...For communication I was thinking of processing (used it succesfully on usb). The router is not mandatory I just need to put space between the arduino and PC cheaply

How far? There are 20 foot USB cables. There are even longer USB cables, with built-in extenders -- I use one of those to run 30 feet (10 meters) of USB 2.0 between my Xbox and my Kinect devices. If you need more than 30 feet, then an Ethernet shield is probably a good idea. Or the idea with two Arduinos, and a radio interface link.
Try two of these, perhaps?
http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=53

found this Receptor radio 434 MHz and this http://www.robofun.ro/transmitator_radio. In this case one of them goes on the PC how? just usb cables atached to the corect pins or do I need to make some kind of driver board?
And another idea...can I use IRDA to transmit? I have IR led (reciever) how do I hook it up for arduino to recieve data from my PC IRDA?
PS: if I wanted the arduino to be wired I wouldn't have posted here (I usb extenders around here) the idea is wireless.

In this case one of them goes on the PC how?

It doesn't. They go on Arduinos.

One of these and one of these could be connected to the PC and one of these and one of these on the Arduino to achieve wireless communication between the Arduino and the PC.

undertakerbro:
Is there any way to use a router on the arduino?

I just set up something like this with a Linksys WRTSL54G that I had laying around. It was a cheap way to add wireless to an Arduino. If you have any router that will run DD-WRT then you can generally connect that to an Arduino using TTL serial. I think that is what you were asking. It is cheap if you happen to have the right router laying around. I posted a bunch of information about options for network connections here.

ty will check that with ma router. Any other ideas for cheap wireless?
The Xbee's are around 40$ in my country...and getting 2 + the drivers....not cheap

jwmelvin:

undertakerbro:
Is there any way to use a router on the arduino?

I just set up something like this with a Linksys WRTSL54G that I had laying around. It was a cheap way to add wireless to an Arduino. If you have any router that will run DD-WRT then you can generally connect that to an Arduino using TTL serial. I think that is what you were asking. It is cheap if you happen to have the right router laying around. I posted a bunch of information about options for network connections here.

I was going to mention exactly this solution; indeed, it should've been the first response to the OP's question. Interesting that it took a "newbie" member to point it out. Great job!

:smiley:

Sounds like what you really want is a WiFi shield, if a second Ardiuno (to hook to the PC) and some cheap wireless link (like the one from iteadstudio.com) is not to your liking. Sometimes, the problem you want to solve, simply has a certain cost to the solution...