Rover Mounted With Robotic Arm!

Hi, i want to create a rover that has a Robotic arm mounted to it, can i make the arm at home myself ? I don't want to buy ready made arms, and do i need 2 Arduino boards one for the rover and one for the hand, or i can just use one for both ? Will 1 12V battery be enough to operate both of them for a long period of time .. ?

Whether or not you can construct the arm, depends on a) how complex it is, b) what materials you want to use and /or have available and c) what mechanical skill you have. Only you know the answers to those questions.

As for how many boards you need, well first you need to figure out how many things you want to control and sense, then you’ll be able to see how many pins you need, then figure out the board requirements. Remember that Arduinos come in different sizes, with different numbers of pins.

Lastly on the battery: voltage does not give an indication of how long a battery can last, that’s measured in mAh (milli amp hours) which tells you how much energy it contains- its capacity. So first you need to look at the motors and decide what voltage, then see what current you’ll need to run the motors under worst conditions. Worst conditions will help you figure out what peak current your power supply must deliver. The average current, and the length of time you want it to run, will help you figure the capacity.

JimboZA:
Whether or not you can construct the arm, depends on a) how complex it is, b) what materials you want to use and /or have available and c) what mechanical skill you have. Only you know the answers to those questions.

As for how many boards you need, well first you need to figure out how many things you want to control and sense, then you'll be able to see how many pins you need, then figure out the board requirements. Remember that Arduinos come in different sizes, with different numbers of pins.

Lastly on the battery: voltage does not give an indication of how long a battery can last, that's measured in mAh (milli amp hours) which tells you how much energy it contains- its capacity. So first you need to look at the motors and decide what voltage, then see what current you'll need to run the motors under worst conditions. Worst conditions will help you figure out what peak current your power supply must deliver. The average current, and the length of time you want it to run, will help you figure the capacity.

That pretty much summed it all up, thanks!

Beaner:
can i make the arm at home myself ? I don't want to buy ready made arms

Does that represent a choice?

Beaner:
do i need 2 Arduino boards one for the rover and one for the hand, or i can just use one for both?

Obviously depends on the code complexity, but note that if you use more than one, you introduce added complexity to each in terms of the communications interface. On the other hand, that may be a good thing if it forces you to develop a high-level protocol which defines environmental representations and actions.

Beaner:
Will 1 12V battery be enough to operate both of them for a long period of time .. ?

That would depend entirely on what size battery, how much power the motors require, what you intend the arm to do, where the rover has to go and other such things, would it not?

Point is, it has little to do with the Arduinos, they are probably the least consumer of power over the time frame of typical use.

I'm a bit worried about communication, since i'll use a WiFi router to connect to the rover and robotic arm, and about 2 cameras i'll be using, one for the rover itself, and one for the arm.

About the battery i'll be using the one that is used in motorcycles, and as far as i know that is big enough if we compare it to the electronics that i'll use.

Beaner:
I'm a bit worried about communication, since i'll use a WiFi router to connect to the rover and robotic arm, and about 2 cameras i'll be using, one for the rover itself, and one for the arm.

I can't help on that, no experience. But there are numerous comments about Arduinos' lack of ability to handle video if that's what you have in mind.

About the battery i'll be using the one that is used in motorcycles, and as far as i know that is big enough if we compare it to the electronics that i'll use.

Yep plenty capacity there I suppose, but you need to do the calcs.

Don't forget to factor in the voltage reduction you will need: servos for example are likely to need 6v, sensors probably 5 or so, Arduino > 7 etc etc. You'll need some components to do the regulation, and those components will have a) current capacity which you need to check is enough and b) often some voltage drop that you'll need to factor in.

JimboZA:

Beaner:

I can't help on that, no experience. But there are numerous comments about Arduinos' lack of ability to handle video if that's what you have in mind.

Yep plenty capacity there I suppose, but you need to do the calcs.

Don't forget to factor in the voltage reduction you will need: servos for example are likely to need 6v, sensors probably 5 or so, Arduino > 7 etc etc. You'll need some components to do the regulation, and those components will have a) current capacity which you need to check is enough and b) often some voltage drop that you'll need to factor in.

Thanks for the tip, will do them ..

And regarding the video, i can get an IP camera and connect it to the LAN port of the router ..

Anyways thanks a lot for the feedback ..