ROVuino

Hello all,

I am to a newbe to the arduino world and am hooked!
I have been following posts for a couple of months and trying out basic sketches, reading sensors, controlling leds etc.
I have a mechanical background (aircraft technician and machinist) and have come up with a project I’d like to make.

Basically it is a ROV submersible with a VGA camera module.
Like this…(see attachment below)
ps. how do you insert an image?

What I want to do is, have an xbox or ps2 controller hooked up to a laptop, laptop conected to the arduino via an ethernet shield and have the VGA camera send back live feed to the laptop.
The controller will control the movement of the ROV via the motor shield and will control the pan of the camera and lights etc.
There will be a 12v on board battery.
What I would like to know is about the ethernet communication i.e how to set it up, how to interface it with the laptop, how to receive video and how to pass on the commands from the controller.
Maybe this is not the best option but from what I’ve read, ethernet has about the right range for what I would like (about 100m length).
Any help will be great… and feel free to let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree.
Regards
Simon
:smiley:

ROV.bmp (1.29 MB)

you can get an ethernet sheild. But do you know how much 100m of cable weighs? How tangly it is? you are going to need a system just for cable management. And any cat5 that is supile enough to actually obey your wishes costs a fortune.

10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX Ethernet connections require two cable pairs. If your camera is capable of those speeds that would reduce your cable weight. You would also need a hub on the rover side so you could split the camera communications from the Arduino/robot communications.

Still tangly though.

If wiring was the issue I guess you could use a pair of modems to carry the TCP/IP stream over SLIP or PPP, that would only require two wires which might be easier to manage and make waterproof etc. You're moving away from common domestic equipment though, so it'd need more expertise to get working.

There is a very similar post to this one on the forum at the moment.

Presumably you are going to keep the interior of the ROV at surface pressure?
That means all your seals including those for the cable connections are going to have to resist a differential pressure of 10 atmospheres.
On the other hand if you pressurise the ROV with air and you have on-board batteries that release hydrogen you will get a bang.

I would suggest you try to keep the volume of the ROV as small as possible and perhaps go for a neutrally bouyant design to keep things simple by eliminating the need for bouyancy tanks and probably making trimming the ROV easier. If you think about an “A” where the bouyany bits are at the apex and the heavy bits are in the legs it will tend to right itself. If the overall structure is neutral then the motor can just drive it up or down.

People have posted about ROVs before but nobody has ever come back saying what happened.
I would love to know the outcome be it glorious success or disaster, so keep posting.