Row Scanning VS Column Scanning

I am working on a led matrix that scrolls text. All of the examples of LED matrices online use row scanning but for my project it would be more convenient to use column scanning. So I am wondering if there is any disadvantage of using column scanning instead of row scanning?

is any disadvantage of using column scanning

Here is one :wink:

All of the examples of LED matrices online use row scanning

When using multiplexing, you always (well, pretty much) want to use as few scan steps as possible - since you want to achieve the maximum average current and thus, brightness.

With "Times Square" displays, you generally have only seven or eight rows, but dozens of columns, so you scan row by row.

Paul__B:
When using multiplexing, you always (well, pretty much) want to use as few scan steps as possible - since you want to achieve the maximum average current and thus, brightness.

With "Times Square" displays, you generally have only seven or eight rows, but dozens of columns, so you scan row by row.

I am just using an 8x8 matrix so there will be the same amount of steps either way

odawg7:
I am just using an 8x8 matrix so there will be the same amount of steps either way

But when you refer to scrolling displays, a basic 8 by 8 matrix is not very practical; the intent is always to use a number of them - in a horizontal line.