RS 232 to light up LEDS

Hi

I am a newbie to electronics and Arduino. I am in need of help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here's is my problem statement
I want to light up 8 LEDs based on the serial data sent by arduino uno over RS232(5 to 15 meter length) .

So the serial data flow that I am looking is like
Arduino uno ==> MAX232-RS232 ==> SIPO ==> 8 LED bulbs.

I could actually successfully do this using TTL/ UART pins of Arduino. But by using RS232 I don't find any serial data(logic levels) flowing out of my RS232.

I have gone through the basics of RS232 /MAX232 and how to use them. But I still feel I need more knowledge to achieve this. As I couldn't find any help online even after searching for information in many blogs and videos, I finally decided to ask experts help here about ideas to achieve my objective.

More about my project
This is just a POC to understand how RS232 works in communicating serial data. Soon after this POC, I need to replace LEDs with devices which expect serial data with logic levels equal to or a little more than 9V (which is why I need to use RS232 for serial communication)

Hello slokesh,
Welcome.

Sorry, I have read your post several times and don't understand what you are trying to do. Please can you read
General guidance and
How to use this forum
And follow the instructions, in particular it would help to have a schematic, hand drawn and photographed is fine, and your code in code tags as per the instructions, and a description of what happens and what you would like to happen. Please also read How to post an image to post your schematic.

When your question is clear then maybe me or someone can help.

Thank you.

A drawing or a photo would be helpful as well.

The control unit is a Arduino Uno I assume.
Do you also use Arduino boards at then end the RS-232 cable ? And those also have RS-232 modules ?

Can you show both sketches of the sender and the receiver ?
Is the protocol of the data fixed for the "devices". Can you tell what those "devices" are ?

Which RS-232 modules do you use (a link please to where you bought them) and how did you connect them and how do you power them ?
The manufacturers of RS-232 modules mix RX and TX labels as they like. You have to exchange the RX and TX until it works.
The MAX232 is easy to use (once you know how).

Please use (international) English.
SIPO seems to be "Serial In Parallel Out" and not a oystercatcher : SIPO - Wikipedia.
POC seems to be "Proof Of Concept" and not a pirate : POC - Wikipedia.

Koepel:
Please use (international) English.
SIPO seems to be "Serial In Parallel Out" and not a oystercatcher : SIPO - Wikipedia.
POC seems to be "Proof Of Concept" and not a pirate : POC - Wikipedia.

TBH, I knew what he meant. :grinning:

RS232 levels are different from TTL levels (and are inverted). With no description of the SIPO, I suspect that it was not designed for RS232 levels and you need a MAX232 at the receiving end as well.

RS232 levels are only loosely defined; +3V .. +15V for a logic 0, -3V .. -15V for a logic 1. The MAX232 has a typical output of +7V / -7V if I interpret the datasheet correctly. So don't assume that it will work with your final device.