rs232 serial communication

i'm trying to receive and transmit same data byte that from a detector that sending 14 data byte with carry return and new line to arduino. im going to smoothing the input and transmit to led monitoring that only receive same data byte from the detector. i'm manage to print the input but cannot transmit it to the led monitoring...

My crystal ball says that the problem is on line 42 of the code that has not been posted. Is there a question?

By the way, the EIA RS-232 standard discusses voltage levels and connectors but never deals with how to send data. Look it up.

If you have an output with standard RS232 voltage levels you will need something like a MAX232 to convert to Arduino TTL voltage levels. RS232 voltages could damage an Arduino.

The examples in Serial Input Basics may be helpful.

…R

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us the make and model of the "device" please?

Thanks .. Tom.... :)

the data was transmit from ludlum 375 digital area monitor. it only transmit data with nl and cr 0000.1000010…the process of readind the data was success but i’m going to smoothing the data and transfer back to the area led monitoring.
i’m using
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial gtSerial(8, 7); // Arduino RX, Arduino TX

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600); // serial / USB port
gtSerial.begin(9600); // software serial port
}

byte rx_byte = 0; // stores received byte

void loop() {
// check if byte available from USB port
if (Serial.available()) {
rx_byte = Serial.read();
// send a byte to the software serial port
gtSerial.write(rx_byte);
}

// check if byte available on the software serial port
if (gtSerial.available()) {
// get the byte from the software serial port
rx_byte = gtSerial.read();
Serial.write(rx_byte);
}
}

serial_basic.ino (647 Bytes)

:'( code tags -or- clear communication? Which is more important.

lastchancename: :'( code tags -or- clear communication? Which is more important.

What gave rise to that question?

IMHO code tags ARE clear communication.

...R

Robin2: What gave rise to that question?

IMHO code tags ARE clear communication.

...R

I was trying to indicate that the question was hard to understand - [u]as well as[/u] - the lack of code tags! Both are important... maybe I failed on the clear communication too