RS232 to Midi Translation

Hi everyone,

I have a project I want to complete and have some questions on whether or not this wound be possible using an Arduino.

Basically, I have a device that has a serial port on it. When I press various buttons on the device it outputs various lines and commands. I need to take those commands and convert them to Midi, Then after that, I need to plug the Arduino into a PC and have it be recognized as a Midi device.

Some background, I have attempted this on a windows machine using a program called Hairless Midi and a Virtual Midi program. Hairless Midi is a serial to Midi converter. When I select various buttons on the Serial device and have them be output to a serial terminal everything works perfectly. All the commands come across the way they should. However, when I input them into the converter, not only does it not properly translate them into Midi, it doesn't even properly read the serial commands. I think it might be a bug within that specific software, so I am hoping to make this project work work in Arduino.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, David

I think your lack of any specific information means you do not have documentation for either the device or the serial protocol.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: I think your lack of any specific information means you do not have documentation for either the device or the serial protocol.

Paul

What kind of information should I provide? When I have the device connected to a serial terminal via a Rs232 to USB cable it is recognized. When I press one of the various buttons, I get this output to the terminal: InCtlA 1 through 7 and Camera 1 through 7 depending on which button I press.

If you need to know the device it's self, it is a ProductionVIEW Precision Camera Controller. This is a link to it's manual https://res.cloudinary.com/avd/image/upload/v132250774/Resources/Vaddio/Control/Operation/341-770-rev-i-precision-camera-controller-manual.pdf.

No existing software is going to be able to interpret "Camera 3" as a MIDI command. There's no logical connection. Only you know what MIDI commands you want to correspond to the specific serial data elements.

It is possible to read serial data with an Arduino and it is possible to produce MIDI commands from an Arduino. Mapping between the two sets of things is also possible but someone is going to have to design and code that part.

In your "specification" you say "after that...." which implies the Arduino storing data and sending it to the PC later. Is that really what you mean or is all this to happen in real-time i.e. Device is connected to Arduino and Arduino to PC and pushing a button on Device immediately sends MIDI command to PC?

Steve