RTC 1307 heating up intermittently

Hello People,

I am facing an issue with RTC CHIP 1307. The chip heats up.The chip temp goes high enough to give a boil if touched (I touched it the first time :fearful: ). Somehow even after getting so hot the chip survives and starts operating again once cold.

I detect this issue when suddenly my circuit start reporting time from 1970s. Even when the chip is super hot I can read and write time to it. Although it does not saves it.

The chip is on a prefabricated PCB available online. I have double checked the PCB for shorts and print issues. I am suspecting this to be an issue with 1307 chip and have already order a new one.

Expert opinions requested.

Thanks & Regards
Akshay Kalia

relay board.PNG

Post the circuit diagram / schematic

It sounds like there is something seriously wrong with the electronics design.

@Roger Thanks for looking at the matter. I have posted the diagram / schematic

Hi v_2akalia,
I have used a few of those cheap Chinese DS1307 modules and had no problems other then arriving with a DEAD battery, and of course, it can't remember the time, next time you power it up. So that might be worth testing, can you get rid of all the other stuff and just test the DS1307 module on it's own?

Like writing code it's often best to test it a bit at a time, progressing through to the end. If the DS1307 gets hot then check the power, could be reversed or the battery!

Just took another look do you have the GND going to pin 13?? and not GND.

Regards

Mel.

The GND for RTC board is being pulled straight from 12 v supply. Can this be a issue?

A quick piece of info. The RTC clock works for hours before the 1307 starts to heat up.

v_2akalia:
The GND for RTC board is being pulled straight from 12 v supply. Can this be a issue?

v_2akalia:

Hi,
The RTC GND must also be connected to the UNO GND, If not then is this your problem! Yes I don't think you have all you GND's connected, this in some strange way might be the cause of your HOT DS1307? (it gets HOT because it's passing TOO much current, are you SURE it's 5V only?) Sure it's a problem I've not had before, the chip/module could be partly faulty!

Regards

Mel.

Replaced the 1307 Chip. It's not heating anymore. Looks like now I have a battery issues. It forgets time as soon as the power goes out.

Check your battery voltage. If less than about 3V then the battery is dead. Replace battery. Just for safety, build your own RTC circuit board and test with it. The board you bought may be bad too.

v_2akalia:
Replaced the 1307 Chip. It's not heating anymore. Looks like now I have a battery issues. It forgets time as soon as the power goes out.

Hi,
I did say they sometimes come with dead batteries!! other then that I have found them to work very well for years.

Hope you have solved your problem and all is working well for you.

Regards

Mel.

The problem is sorted.. I guess the RTC board I purchased was the issue. Replaced it with a new board based on DS3231.

Thanks for the help people. :slight_smile: