RTC libraries of the same name

I have a problem. So I needed a library for DS3231. So I went into the Arduino’s “manage libraries” and found a library named DS3231. But, when I click on it to add it, it comes up as <Wire.h>, which isnt what I wanted. It is supposed to come up as:
#define <DS3231.h> but it isn’t.
I wanted to use the example code that most tutorials are using. There isn’t the right example code either. So, I relized it mustve been the wrong library.
I went to Rink-dink electronics(the library the tutorials say to use) and downloaded the DS3231 library. I went to downlad it as a library and it said, “Library of the same name already exists”. How do I get the library I want. Can I uninstall the first library??? If so, how do I do that?

3rd party libraries are installed in the libraries directory in the Arduino sketch directory; under windows C:\Users\yourUsername\Documents\Arduino\libraries.

You can simply delete them there.

I'm still not exactly sure what youre trying to say. I have a mac... does that make a difference? Sorry, I'm new.

pearl2007:
when I click on it to add it, it comes up as <Wire.h>, which isnt what I wanted. It is supposed to come up as:
#define <DS3231.h> but it isn’t.

That’s a common mistake library authors make. They don’t bother to read the documentation and so they mess up the library metadata. But it’s really not a problem. Just type the #include directive yourself instead of using the Arduino IDE’s Sketch > Include Library feature. If you don’t know the file name, check the examples that come with the library. They are found at File > Examples > {library name}.

I submitted a pull request to fix that error in the library 6 months ago, but it hasn’t been merged yet:
https://github.com/NorthernWidget/DS3231/pull/15

pearl2007:
Can I uninstall the first library???

Yes.

pearl2007:
If so, how do I do that?

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Note the folder location shown in the “Sketchbook location” preference. This is your sketchbook.
  • Delete the folder {sketchbook folder}/libraries/DS3231

After doing that, you’ll be able to install the other DS3231 library.

pert:
That's a common mistake library authors make. They don't bother to read the documentation and so they mess up the library metadata. But it's really not a problem. Just type the #include directive yourself instead of using the Arduino IDE's Sketch > Include Library feature. If you don't know the file name, check the examples that come with the library. They are found at File > Examples > {library name}.

I submitted a pull request to fix that error in the library 6 months ago, but it hasn't been merged yet:
Correct includes value in library.properties by per1234 · Pull Request #15 · NorthernWidget/DS3231 · GitHub
Yes.

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Note the folder location shown in the "Sketchbook location" preference. This is your sketchbook.
  • Delete the folder {sketchbook folder}/libraries/DS3231

After doing that, you'll be able to install the other DS3231 library.

Oh my goodness thank you!!! That should work. I was trying to find out how to do this but I couldnt understand what they were sying. This was really conprehensive. Thank you!

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance.
Per