RTK

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to planning to use RTK with arduino and I'm already stuck!

I read some articles and some threads here and others sources and I don't know what I have to do.

Here my "scenario"...

I have arduino with a GPS shield (ISEA REB-4216) at my robot.
I'm use a GCS(ground control station) where I receive my data from GPS, make the controller and send back the data for the wheels(very summed up).

There is a "public" service(I'm not quite sure if is public, but not important now!) that have RTK, i.e. they have the observation antenna fixed and provide the errors between the signal from satellite and the correct position from antenna(I'll download internet files).

I'm thinking to get these data from the antennas and do the corrections that I get from robot's GPS data at my GCS.

My doubts, from I've read, is the RKLib(iibrary that I've found) only works in my GCS with GPS on that(but my GPS is in robot).

There isn't RTKLib for Arduino.

I read also some about other device for receive data on robot specific for GPS-RTK called SparkFun GPS-RTK Board - NEO-M8P-2, but is it necessary? Can't I use my GPS shield?

Is the architecture that I'm thinking wrong? What I have to do to make it works?

Thanks!

Are You sure that the correcting signal RTK exist in Your area? It does not couver the entire planet as faar as I have understood.

Well, I don't know if is the entire world. In some regions there is no fixed antenna to provide these "errors" about measures. I my case, for example, my robot have to be near enough to "trust" in that antenna. There is a minimum area that you have to be for use the fixed antenna. The further away you are from the antenna, the data loses the desired precision.

But, my doubt is not if is entire world, is the architecture that I'm trying is correct. I know that I have an antenna near enough to download data from there and use RTK.

You are correct, RTK is sent from extra antennas in "certain" ares where the extra precision is needed. If You have such a signal within reach, then go ahead. Otherwise further work had been waisted….
Check the specs for Your hardware and the libs You use if or how such signals can be received.
I use a GPS chip for a mobile speedindicator and made the board read more signals than the standard ones. Ok, it is not RTK.

The RTK services are mostly commercial and very expensive. They are used by surveyors, so call some up in your area and ask about what they use.

These site will give you an overview: https://www.polaris-gnss.com/

They offer a starter kit for $100 that connects to a smart phone, but appears to require local internet service and a 3rd party RTK provider. Let us know what you find out.

Are RTK services free ?

I always thought there was a fee to be paid to use the service.

jremington:
The RTK services are mostly commercial and very expensive. They are used by surveyors, so call some up in your area and ask about what they use.

These site will give you an overview: https://www.polaris-gnss.com/

They offer a starter kit for $100 that connects to a smart phone, but appears to require local internet service and a 3rd party RTK provider. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for your reply..
Actually, I'm trying to find out if is possible with Arduino and a GPS shield in an architecture I described in the first post (DIY!!).

But, that's look like not be possible, I think I'll have to change something. The idea is make the solution the most cheap as possible based in the original idea!

srnet:
Are RTK services free ?

I always thought there was a fee to be paid to use the service.

Hi, I'm starting to study RTK now and I'm not sure if there is a solution totally free! The infrastructure I'll use is " free" but I'm think there is some restrictions, like, for example, the frequency the data is updated.

mfpin:
Hi, I'm starting to study RTK now and I'm not sure if there is a solution totally free! The infrastructure I'll use is " free" but I'm think there is some restrictions, like, for example, the frequency the data is updated.

So your not aware of a free solution but your going to use one ?

Puzzled I am.

srnet:
So your not aware of a free solution but your going to use one ?

Puzzled I am.

Well, Maybe you are a little puzzled....
I've written: The infrastructure I'll use is " free" but I'm think there is some restrictions, like, for example, the frequency the data is updated.

That's means the solution is free with some restrictions. There are a lot of solutions that works like that, mostly for try and develop services and products with them.For example, If you will need RTK for autonomous vehicle for example, high frequency, reliable, etc, you'll have to pay.