Rubik's cube Robot solver

I just cut the 2nd gripper for you Will ship it tomorrow ;)

kas: I just cut the 2nd gripper for you Will ship it tomorrow ;)

Thank you! :)

Greeting kas!

Its been too long...hope you are well! :D

I just discovered your thread here today, very happy to see your continued involvement in fun projects and generosity towards the community. My near teen son has been overly preoccupied with the CUBE for a good bit now, enough that even this old guy recently learned to solve it! ;)

I wonder if you would be able to offer the gripper files in .dxf, I may try and give it a go. I could probably work off the .pdf found earlier in the thread, but that would be a bit more involved.

Also, I would like to contact you regarding a proposition/project via email...you may have some interest as well. Is your email unchanged from 1+ years past? hint: it relates Arduino, Android, python, CNC & Bluetooth(hard to deny you are the PERFECT candidate!)

Hi billcat,

Nice to see you here :)

I designed the grippers using Vcarve Pro, native file extension is .crv I had to convert to .ai (Illustrator) for a laser cutter machine Can you use .crv or .ai files ??

I will look for other export options

Same email ;)

kas: Hi billcat,

Nice to see you here :) Thanks :]

Can you use .crv or .ai files ?? I have been using Rhinoceros 4; it appears it will indeed support .ai but no mention of .crv, I can give .ai a shot.

Same email ;)I will contact you via email sometime soon!

Cheers!

Found the .dxf export option :wink:

Arduino Forum only accept doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, c, h, cpp, ino, pde extentions
Please remove the txt extention after downloading the files

Servo_gripper9_CX1.ai.txt (34.6 KB)

Servo_gripper9_CX1.dxf.txt (226 KB)

Hey Kas!

Finally, I assembled the robot. It is very impressive. I have some questions related to the power supply. I'm not an expert in batteries. Could you help me?

There is an online shop in Hungary, where I have found two batteries, but I'm very confused.

Li-Ion 3,7V 3800mAh

Li-Ion 3,6V 1650mAh

kas: Found the .dxf export option ;)

Greetings Kas, many thanks for your accommodation regarding the files, both .dxf and .ai imported well!

now if only to find some time for fun...

I'll be in touch before long. :)

bacsi1993: Hey Kas!

Finally, I assembled the robot. It is very impressive.

Cool 8) let us have photos

I have some questions related to the power supply. I'm not an expert in batteries. Could you help me?

There is an online shop in Hungary, where I have found two batteries, but I'm very confused.

Google is your best friend ;) http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/how-do-i-choose-a-battery-8-3585 http://www.instructables.com/answers/Using-Arduino-and-8-servos-What-type-of-power-so/

Servo's operate between 5 and 6 Volts Arduino needs 7/12 Volts

Your possible choices: Use two different supply sources (connect the grounds) Use a 6 volt battery (2000 mAh min) and a DC/DC booster for the Arduino Use two Li-Po battery (7.4V) and a DC/DC step down for the servo's . . . . .

For my setup, I use two LiFePo4 and get a stable 6.6 volts |500x278 This is slightly out of spec for both servo's and Arduino but it works flawlessly I have an old Arduino diecemila and it may not work for other models

Hey Kas!

I have been very busy lately. I have to study a lot, that’s why I don’t have enough time to develop my robot. Here is the latest version.

Hi Kas,

Servo's operate between 5 and 6 Volts

Most servo's should be fine @ 7.4v.

For a DC DC step down I'd recommend a UBEC e.g. https://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__4319__TURNIGY_3A_UBEC_w_Noise_Reduction.html

Woody

woodygb: Most servo's should be fine @ 7.4v.

I strongly disagree.

I think a much more accurate statement is most servos are not fine at 7.4V.

If they don't go up in smoke (which I've seen) they often end up shaking. I don't know why they shake but I've seen several different models shake when I attempted 7.2V.

Here are links to a couple of my servo projects.

Hexapod

32 Servo Demo

Don't use more than 6V on a servo unless the specs for the servo make it clear high voltages are okay. I found even when the specs say higher voltages are okay, the servos don't always work well at higher voltages.

I have been very busy lately. I have to study a lot, that’s why I don’t have enough time to develop my robot. Here is the latest version

Hi bacsi1993

I thought you gave up on this project
Let us have a video
Make sure you can move the cube safely before addressing the “resolution” side

I am now using my Android phone as camera

Most servo’s should be fine @ 7.4v

@woodygb
I would say some servos are fine at 7.4V
which is not too far from DuaneDegn statement :wink:
I had short lifetime with 2 servo’s

For a DC DC step down I’d recommend a UBEC
e.g.
https://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__4319__TURNIGY_3A_UBEC_w_Noise_Reduction.html

Nice device, thanks for the link

kas: Hi bacsi1993

|500x375

I thought you gave up on this project Let us have a video

I never give up. I have a lot of exams in December and in January. I have to concenrate on them. As soon as I finish them I will post a video. Unfortunately, I have problems with my robot, the cube often falls off. :( I have to develop the frame, it is not as good as yours. :(

On the other hand, I was thinking of a Cube solver robot with 4 grippers.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8BYKwbwZSM

Merry Christmas!

Alexander

I exhibited the Rubik’s solver (together with a balancing Robot) at our local Maker Faire and generated a lot of interest 8)

Once you have more time, post a video with the cube falling off
We will analyze the reason for it, and suggest adequate tuning

When properly tuned, cube will never fall off

Good luck for your exams :wink:

Im building a project similar to this and i was wondering if you had the arduino coding for this??

martin28: Im building a project similar to this and i was wondering if you had the arduino coding for this??

Hi martin28 Please refer to this post and let us have more info on your project

Hello Kas, I'm planning on building something like this. Did you could make the color recognition with a webcam/android phone part? Or I'm the one who missed something?

Hi Alexeir7

For the PC based robot (described in this thread), color acquisition is done within the PC, using a webcam Color recognition is performed by Cube Explorer Cube explorer also performs solving algorithm

My new robot is now fully autonomous Color acquisition is performed via an Android phone An home made Android App performs the following tasks: - color recognition - data transmission to a solving server (University, Montreal - Canada) via WiFi - get response from server - transmit moves to Arduino via Bluetooth

If there is sufficient interest, I will describe the new Android based robot in this thread

Wow I thought this thread was actually dead.
I got lost at the server solving part :frowning:
Well I’m quite intered on your new robot.