Run a stepper with two PIR's

Hi all, New to the forum and pretty new to arduino.

I’m not sure if it’s my wiring or my code but I am trying to finish a sculpture that has a stepper motor that moves differently depending on which PIR is tripped on either side of the piece.

Here is my code:

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_MotorShield.h>
#include "utility/Adafruit_PWMServoDriver.h"               // Create the motor shield object with the default I2C address

Adafruit_MotorShield AFMS = Adafruit_MotorShield();       // Or, create it with a different I2C address (say for stacking)
                                                          // Adafruit_MotorShield AFMS = Adafruit_MotorShield(0x61); 

Adafruit_StepperMotor *myMotor = AFMS.getStepper(200, 2);  // Connect a stepper motor with 200 steps per revolution (1.8 degree)
                                                           // to motor port #2 (M3 and M4)
int pirPinleft = 2;                                        // Left PIR
int pirPinright = 1;                                     //right PIR turned on once left is working

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);                                       // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
  Serial.println("PIR Controlled Stepper!");
  pinMode(pirPinleft, INPUT);                               //Left PIR motion sensor
  pinMode(pirPinright, INPUT);                              //Right PIR motion sensor
  AFMS.begin();                                            // create with the default frequency 1.6KHz   AFMS.begin(1000);  // OR with a different frequency, say 1KHz
  myMotor->setSpeed(20);                                    // 10 rpm   
}

void loop() {

if (digitalRead(pirPinleft) == LOW) {                           // if left PIR detects motion move in one pattern

Serial.println("Left Side Motion");
      myMotor->step(60, FORWARD, MICROSTEP);
      myMotor->step(40, BACKWARD, DOUBLE); 
      delay(2000);
}

else {                                                          // if no motion release the motor
      myMotor ->release();
}

if (digitalRead(pirPinright) == LOW) {                        // if right PIR detects motion move in a different pattern

Serial.println("Right Side Motion");
        myMotor->step(40, BACKWARD, DOUBLE);
        myMotor->step(120, FORWARD, DOUBLE);  
        delay(2000);
  }

else {                                                          // if no motion release the motor
      myMotor ->release();

}
}

and I’ve attached my wiring in a picture. The red and black come from 5v and ground on the arduino into the breadboard. Each signal wire on the PIR’s have a 10k resistor from power to the signal before going to digital pins 1 and 2 on the arduino.

Any help is appreciated. I don’t really understand coding very well and am new to electronics in general.