Run arduino for long time and control remotly

Hi,

I'm starting a small project where I want to open and close my curtains by a remote.

My arduino will run from a 9v battery (I'll probably use some kind of sleep mode).

What type of remote control should I choose ?

1. wifi - huge power consumption, and overkill for simple "open/close" control
  2. blue tooth - less power, still overkill
  3. RF ?
  4. IR ?

I'm trying to find the cheapest solution and easiest solution, some simple receiver and transmitter for a few bucks from ali-express that consumes as little power as possible.

Any advice will be appreciated

(deleted)

IR - You've probably got an old TV remote that will do the job of transmitter, just need a receiver: Show All | IR Receivers | Vishay

The one I use: TSOP38238

Look at Moteino. They've already solved all your problems.

Curtains use a lot of power. A typical 9V battery won't be able to move them. It will end up plugged into the wall, so then the power consumption of the radio isn't an issue.

I'm starting a small project where I want to open and close my curtains by a remote

Just clarifying that you mean by a remote control and not remotely? Will you be in the same room as the curtains when you want to close them, or the same house or somewhere else entirely?

davidrh:
Just clarifying that you mean by a remote control and not remotely? Will you be in the same room as the curtains when you want to close them, or the same house or somewhere else entirely?

When I say remotely I mean like 3-4 meters distance and in a line of sight.

MorganS:
Look at Moteino. They've already solved all your problems.

Curtains use a lot of power. A typical 9V battery won't be able to move them. It will end up plugged into the wall, so then the power consumption of the radio isn't an issue.

1. Thanks for mentioning moteino. I'll check that out.
  2. Regarding the battery. I don't have problem connecting two 9v batteries for that in parallel. All I need from them is something like 9V and 0.6 amp for a 10-20 seconds. Worst case it will open slowly :slight_smile:

If it won't work, I'll change it to something plugged to a wall :frowning:

Martin-X:
IR - You've probably got an old TV remote that will do the job of transmitter, just need a receiver: Show All | IR Receivers | Vishay

The one I use: TSOP38238

I don't have an old tv remote but they can be bought with a receiver for less 1$
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1LOT-Infrared-IR-Wireless-Remote-Control-Module-Kits-DIY-Kit-HX1838-For-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi/32732652990.html
Is this suitable for my needs ?

what are the pros/cons of rf vs ir ?

That looks suitable.

For your requirements IR is the best and cheapest option. RF can do a lot more but would be overkill when you only need to send Open/Close commands over a short range.

IR is best for sending small data packets (typically 32 bits) over short range and with line-of-sight between transmitter and receiver. RF can use much larger data packets, it travels further and doesn't need line-of-sight.

9V x 600mA x 20sec isn't a lot of energy. These must be small curtains. It is still likely beyond the capability of two of those batteries.