Run/Drive a Stepper Motor 0.9°, Need some advise

Hello everybody and thank you in advance :)

I am trying to run a bipolar stepper using an arduino board (of course) and the concept is to code it so that i can give a certain amound of steps as an input and.. command it to turn to a certain deg.

Right now i have an L293D IC as a driver, a cheap bipolar stepper with a 1.8 deg/step (4wires) and with some simple coding and external 5V it works fine.

I want to get a stepper with 0.9deg/step ( i am thinking of "Wantai Nema17 Stepper Motor 0.9° 42BYGHM809")

Since i "work" with a really low budget and cant afford to buy something i will not use (it wont be the end of the word but it would be better to avoid it), i am curius :

Will the L293D IC work fine driving the Nema17 Stepper Motor 0.9° or a similar one ?

Any suggestions will be much more than welcome :)

(I can attach a diagram of the circuit if needed but its really simple Arduino -> L293D IC -> Stepper and 5v as external supply)

These links may help with the basics
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

…R

I have checked these when i first started this project and they helped a lot !

I also like half a hour ago, i found this searching for info online

http://www.circuitmagic.com/arduino/how-to-run-a-stepper-motor-with-an-arduino-l293d-ic/

which is realy similar to what i done.. so for the purpose of simpifing things more, lets say thats the project (which is more or less)..

Now if i replace that stepper with Nema17 Stepper Motor 0.9 and L293D IC with a Sparkfun easydriver, would the code need a lot of changes.(expect the ones of the motor specific specs and the wiring).? (Take the circuitmagic project as an expample)

The Sparkfun easydriver is rated for max 700mA per phase. What is the rated current of your motor? If the rated current of the motor is more than 700mA and the motor is bipolar, consider the DRV8825 or A4988 drivers. The DRV8825 is rated to (max) 2.5A and the A4988 to 2A (with forced air cooling). And since you are on a budget, the DRV8825 and A4988 drivers are much less expensive (Ebay) than the Sparkfun driver.

The drivers take only a step and direction signals (+ other optional pins) so may be less complicated to code.