Run Shell With Arduino

I am an Arduino noob so excuse me if I say something stupid. I'm doing a project for school and part of it involves running a shell command based on the output from the Arduino. I've got almost everything working correctly except that I found out there is no way to open files with an Arduino command. At first I tried this:

if (total1 > 20)
{
system("filepath.sh")
}

After some google searching, I realized this command doesn't work with Arduino.

I later found out a gobetwino which does exactly what I want to do, but it only works for Windows. I am running on a Mac and can't go to Windows because of time constraints and having to change significant portions of my project. Is there any other way to open a file with an Arduino command? I don't need it to read or return anything, just open the file.

Thanks in advanced.

Is there any other way to open a file with an Arduino command?

The Arduino talks to the serial port. There can be any number of applications running on the PC. One of them could even be listening to the serial port that the Arduino is talking to.

If there is not an existing program running on the PC that listens to the serial port, start one. If there is not a suitable application to start, write one.

PaulS:
The Arduino talks to the serial port. There can be any number of applications running on the PC. One of them could even be listening to the serial port that the Arduino is talking to.

If there is not an existing program running on the PC that listens to the serial port, start one. If there is not a suitable application to start, write one.

Thanks for the response.
What kind of programs would allow me to do this? Is there any resources on this topic?

What kind of programs would allow me to do this?

A Terminal Emulator running a script could do it or maybe Processing.

This demo shows how to communicate with an Arduino using Python.

...R