Running 23 Small DC Motors?!

I'm trying to eventually run 23 small 5-12 volt dc motors off of an arduino mega. So far, my prototype runs using an uno. I am running into issues with power.

Right now I have 5 motors connected to the uno with a 12v AC to DC adapter plugged into it. I can get about 3 of these motors going at one time but as soon as I get 4-5 running the arduino shuts off. I am controlling these motors through the serial port w/ Max/MSP and a midi controller. When the arduino shuts off I have to reopen the serial port to get it running again. These motors are just running through transistors as the switch.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like there is not enough power reaching these motors and my goal of running 23 is going to be no small feat... Any suggestions?

Right now I have 5 motors connected to the uno

Don't try to power motors from the arduino, as it can cause problems and possible arduino damage. Motors need an external power supply.

Hi,

Can you please post a copy of your sketch, using code tags? Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png or pdf?

Tom...... :)

Always a separate supply for motors, and make sure it can provide enough stall current for your motors. That means you have to find out what current that is - measure if necessary.