Running 4 stepper motors simultaneously

Hello, I have a project in which 4 stepper motors are to run altogether at the exact same time, speed, direction, distance. There is distance between the axes of the 4 stepper motors, but they all are running in the same axis (z-direction). I was wondering if there is a way to connect all 4 stepper motors so that they only need to be controlled be 1 Step pin and 1 Dir pin? I do have some A4988 Drivers and I was thinking of getting a motor shield, but I don't know if this would help solve the problem.

If there is a solution to this problem, please let me know, otherwise I have to reevaluate my setup.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

I don't see a problem feeding step and direction from one step pin and one direction pin to four A4988 stepper drivers.

Running 2 motors from the sane step and dir pins is often done in 3D printers (ie, Z axis on Prusa i3).

If the four steppers are the same model you might be able to wire the stepper coils in series and drive them with four times the voltage (same current).

If the four steppers are the same model you might be able to wire the stepper coils in parallel and drive them with four times the current (same voltage).

Using one driver per motor and connecting the inputs of the drivers to the same pins (as suggested above) is probably the best bet.