Running 4A on a DC motor using an Arduino Motor Shield R3

Hello,

I had a couple of quick questions about using the Arduino Motor Shield R3 to drive a single motor at 4A. I read on the main pages comments that if I ran the channels in parallel to my motor, I could devote all 4A available from the shield to the motor. I've wired the channels together in parallel already.

When I'm programming this, do I need to program both channels to get the full 4A out, or will the motor shield pull the 4A on its own as it needs if I just program one channel?

Thanks,

You cannot parallel part of the circuit without paralleling the other corresponding parts of the circuit. post the schematic of your motor shield and tell us what pins you connected together using the signal or pin names from the datasheet. Post a link to a vendor that sells that shield so we can look at the photo.

When I'm programming this, do I need to program both channels to get the full 4A out, or will the motor shield pull the 4A on its own as it needs if I just program one channel?

Read your question again several times while looking at the schematic and see if you can explain to us how what your are suggesting could be possible.....

see attached
What does it say next to the label “Figure 7” at the top of the page ? (yes I know it’s from the L298 datasheet and your motor driver uses the L293. )

You won't get 4A continuous out of that chip unless you provide efficient cooling, 1A per channel is a far more realistic estimate.

Hey guys,

as the project rolls on we are sort of making it all work.. somehow.

we are running 12v from batteries into the arduino motor shield. then controlling the 2 dc motors is all good- one in channel a and one in channel b.

but i know that the motor shield only gives max 2A per channel. the motor in channel b is a 12v dc motor and we need more torque out of it but still want to run it through arduino.

the question now arises:

is it possible to hook up another battery in between the arduino motor shield and the dc motor ?

aka- have 12v into the arduino to power it. then have seperate battery in between the motor shield and the dc motor ?

i read that it is possible to hook up an external power source for a servo- do you just hook up the battery to the power cable and ground to ground ??

thank you

I've wired the channels together in parallel already. You asked a question.... When I'm programming this, do I need to program both channels to get the full 4A out, or will the motor shield pull the 4A on its own as it needs if I just program one channel?

Here is the answer... Did you read this ?

What does it say next to the label "Figure 7" at the top of the page ? (yes I know it's from the L298 datasheet and your motor driver uses the L293. )