running a 5082-7300 with Arduino

Hi,

I have twelve off these 5082-7300 Displays laying around and i was wondering if someone could help to get these running on arduino. My goal is to get 4 of these showing the voltage off a 24 volt battery. i found several datasheets but i'm not getting any further.

Thanks

Can you post a link to some of those datasheets, please?

Offcourse i can:

this one and another one witch also contains application notes

hope this helps.

Needs 9 digital pins , 8 digital pins for fixed digital point
4 pins to 5082 parallelled pins 1,2,3,8 (output a binairy number)
1 pin to 5082 parallelled pin 4 (ouput a digital state for decimal point)
4 pins to individual 5082 ‘Latch Enable’ (pins 5)(rising edge sensitive)

If you want to see “1” on leftmore digit without DP
-low Latch Enable for this display
-send “0001” on display bus and “0” on DP line
-rise Latch Enable for this display so the number present at this instant on display bus will be latched in this display’s memory and seen on it until next change

driving 5082.jpg

Thanks for the info, now to write a program for it.

This a program i found witch i modified a little but its not working unfortunately

void output(int h, int g, int f, int e, int d, int c, int b, int a) { if (a == 1) digitalWrite(1, HIGH); else if (a == 0) digitalWrite(1, LOW); if (b == 1) digitalWrite(2, HIGH); else if (b == 0) digitalWrite(2, LOW); if (c == 1) digitalWrite(3, HIGH); else if (c == 0) digitalWrite(3, LOW); if (d == 1) digitalWrite(4, HIGH); else if (d == 0) digitalWrite(4, LOW); if (e == 1) digitalWrite(6, HIGH); else if (e == 0) digitalWrite(6, LOW); if (f == 1) digitalWrite(7, HIGH); else if (f == 0) digitalWrite(7, LOW); if (g == 1) digitalWrite(8, HIGH); else if (g == 0) digitalWrite(8, LOW); if (h == 1) digitalWrite(9, HIGH); else if (h == 0) digitalWrite(9, LOW); delay(1000); }

void setup() { }

void loop() { output(0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0); output(0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0); output(0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0); output(0,0,1,1,1,0,0,0); output(0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0); output(0,1,0,1,1,0,0,0); output(0,1,1,0,1,0,0,0); output(0,1,1,1,1,0,0,0); output(1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0); output(1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0);

Please let me know if you can up with something better.

I've used the hex version of these dislay modules in the distance past and they do work well. Keep in mind that these displays require +5vdc to work, so if you are planning on using an external 24vdc supply you will need to convert it down to a regulated +5vdc. And as worst case current requirement for each module can be as high as 170 ma each (datasheet spec) your total +5vdc current capacity needs to around 700 ma or higher to run four of these display modules. Running 24vdc into a typical 7805 1 amp regulator chip will overheat the regulator big time and most likely cause it to shutdown from over temp.

So first work out how you are going to power the displays.

Lefty

rolf102: This a program i found witch i modified a little but its not working unfortunately

Can you please say in what way it isn't working? Remember, we can't see your Arduino and LEDs, so you'll have to tell us what's going on.

don't worry about the volts, I'm using a power converter to get 5vdc, i however did notice when i wire up a display on my breadboard, and put wires 1,2,3,8 and 5 on ground the display lights up, if put them on 5vdc nothing happens.

ps. when i verify the program no problem, when i upload no problem, then nothing happens LED displays remain off, only LED on Arduino burning is power LED, reset doesn't help either

Your sketch appears to be trying to write to this display as if it's a simple 7 segment dislay. These displays have internal logic that converts a 4 bit input value to the proper segments. So you wire four data output pins to it's data input pins and wire one digital output pin to act as a load/latch signal wired to the display. Look at page 5 of the linked that sheet for the logic truth table for using this kind of display.

http://www.viewcom.force9.co.uk/displays/Display-pdf/HP5082-73xx.pdf

Lefty

Hi,

I made a little program, and it works but i have to physicaly reinsert the the GND or 5V or both to get the number showing. Is there a way to program this?

here is my program:

int x8 = 2; // input 8
 int x4 = 3; // input 4
 int x2 = 4; // input 2
 int x1 = 5; // input 1
 int e = 6;  // latch enable
 int dp = 7; // decimal point

void setup() {

pinMode(x8, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(x4, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(x2, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(x1, OUTPUT);