Running Arduino IDE with Mac OS 10.4.11

Hi, I am just getting started with Arduino and I am hoping I can use an older iMac G4 PPC that I have. I am running OS 10.4.11 Tiger. I can't seem to get the latest version of the Arduino IDE to operate due to Java problems. I have searched for solutions but I can't find clear answers.

Is it possible to run the Arduino IDE version 1.05 on Mac OS 10.4.11?

If it is possible what version of Java do I need to make it operate?

Would I be better off to run Arduino IDE 1.04?

The error I get shown in console is:

[JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/filechooser/FileNameExtensionFilter
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:242)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.loadMainMethod(LaunchRunner.java:55)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:84)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
    at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)
Exception in thread "main"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Darren

I am guessing by the lack of response of any kind that I am barking up the wrong tree. :~

I will start out using the 1.04 version of the IDE and later when I can afford a better computer I will be able to upgrade.

Darren

The last time I tried to run a modern Arduino IDE on a PPC Mac, it didn't have a recent enough version of Java, and wouldn't install anything more recent via "update." I didn't get as far as trying to see whether I could manually install a newer java via Oracle. :-(

Thank you for taking the time to respond. :D

I don't have the computer skills to manually install java so I will stick with the plan to use version 1.04. Now I know I am heading in the right direction and hitting the same roadblocks as others before me.

Cheers Darren

According to Oracle’s documentation, the class you’re referring to is present since Java 1.6:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/swing/filechooser/FileNameExtensionFilter.html

Unfortunately, on Oracle Java site, it’s stated that they support Mac OSX 10.7 or later, so it seems we have no chance to run it on our old Mac G4 (yes, me too).

Anyway, thansk a lot for your post, now I know there’s an older version of Arduino software that can run on my old iBook G4. $)

Greets,
Giuseppe.