Running Arduino on Windows 98

Hi,

I just recently tried running the Arduino IDE on Windows 98. After installing the correct drivers, I keep getting the following error when I try to upload to the board:

Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7

avr-g++: _spawnv: No such file or directory
avr-gcc: _spawnv: No such file or directory

Couldn't determine program size: C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dad\Desktop\arduino-0010-wi
n\arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: 'C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dad\My Docu
ments\Arduino\Blink2\applet\Blink2.hex': No such file

avrdude: can't open input file C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dad\My Documents\Arduino\Blin
k2\applet\Blink2.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dad\My Documents\Arduino\Blink2\appl
et\Blink2.hex' failed

The files avr-gcc and avr-g++ are in there, and I made sure to save the code to the hard drive. Is there anything else I can do to get the upload process working.

I am using the Arduino Diecimila.

Does Arduino 0009 work?

I haven't tried using version 0009. I used 0010, and I just tried playing around with the driver settings to get the drivers working.

I'll download 0009 and I'll let you know if it works. Thanks :D

Edit: Yes, it worked after I downloaded version 0009. It worked just fine in Windows 98; there were a bunch of command prompt popups, but it is normal and it worked just fine. It uploaded successfully.

I had the same trouble. Version 10 no go, version 9 no trouble.

I think there is a syntax error, and it shows up in your error message which is similar to the one I got -

Couldn't determine program size: C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dad\Desktop\arduino-0010-wi n\arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: 'C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dad\My Docu ments\Arduino\Blink2\applet\Blink2.hex': No such file

Notice that the slashes ( \ ) are partially backwards ( / ), which windows doesn't like and therefore a path error occurs.

I realize this is quite awhile after the original post. I guess there aren't that many of us still using Win98.

That error makes it sound like the sketch couldn't be compiled (and hence why the .hex file couldn't be found). Did you get any messages before that one?

I'm certainly not a programmer so bear with me.

When I first start version 10 I get the message -

I then carry on and load the sketch 'BLINK' which shows up fine.

I then proceed to "Upload to I/O Board".

Two or so windows flash by quickly and the last window AVRDUDE appears for a short time and then it quits. An error message then appears. The complete error window shows the following -

avr-g++: _spawnv: No such file or directory avr-gcc: _spawnv: No such file or directory

Couldn't determine program size: E:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: 'E:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-0010\examples\Digital\Blink\applet\Blink.Hex': No such file

avrdude: can't open input file E:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-0010\examples\Digital\Blink\applet\Blink.hex: No such file or directory avrdude: write to file 'E:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-0010\examples\Digital\Blink\applet\Blink.hex' failed

Hope this might help. I still wonder about those 'backward and forward' slashes...

Darrell

One other thing.

I see that after trying to compile, a file has been created called E:\Program Files\Arduino\arduino-0010\examples\Digital\Blink\applet\Blink.cpp

I don't know if thats another clue or not.

Darrell

The slashes should be okay (I think). The problem is these lines:

avr-g++: _spawnv: No such file or directory avr-gcc: _spawnv: No such file or directory

For some reason the binaries that work under Vista don't under Windows 98. You might try Arduino 0009 (since that was pre-Vista binaries). You could also try downloading version 20071221 of WinAVR and replacing the included hardware tools with those (though I'm not sure how easy it is). Supposedly this version of WinAVR has fixed many of the spawnv problems.

I’d the same problem as described above using xp-sp3.
After starting software version 10 or 11, I receive an error message:

After many hours of frustration I’ve found the solution by a posting of jas http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/60163#695044.

The firewall (Agnitum Outpost v4.x) causes my problem. I deactivate it, and it works fine… ;D

TNX JAS!!!