Running both older and newer IDE

Ok, I going to try and bite the bullet and take a more serious shot at using IDE 1.0 more. However I wish to continue to use version 22 and have both V22 and V1.0 use separate sketch folders. I would then manual move over sketches at my own pace that I want to check out and run under V1.0. Is this possible? When I change the sketch folder preference location command inside the IDE 1.0 to a different folder location and close the IDE and open the older IDE it then also looks to the new sketch folder location, not it's prior location.

I realise it does that because there is only one location used for both IDE to look for the preference.txt file at launching, C:\Documents and Settings\Primary Windows User\Application Data\Arduino

So is there a way to have two different arduino IDE that work out of separate sketch folder locations or not. If so what trick am I missing. Or am I going to have to change the sketch folder location every time I open a different version of the IDE.

Thanks for any help with this.

Lefty

I couldn't get around it. I use the same folder, but append "v10" to the names of scripts for V1.0. A bit of an inconvenience, but I have seen worse.

strange, my post is missing

I've run 3x 0023 IDE's and 2-3x 1.0 IDE's at the exact same time, as long as I don't try uploading in each one at the same time, they all run fine.

@evanrich: I can too. At least one instance of each. But the challenge is the sketch folder. They both default to the entry in preferences.txt. Change one, and they both change. That is the question retrolefty is asking. I have not found a way around that.

SurferTim:
@evanrich: I can too. At least one instance of each. But the challenge is the sketch folder. They both default to the entry in preferences.txt. Change one, and they both change. That is the question retrolefty is asking. I have not found a way around that.

That is correct. I've always had multiple version installed and working but never wanted seperate sketch folders used. I see it can be done by first changing the sketch folder location option when first opening a IDE, but what I wanted to know is if there is a way to have different versions use different sketch folder locations without having to manually change it every time I open the IDE? I gather so far from feedback that the answer is no.

Lefty

Version control? (I've been reading Pro Git, so everything looks like a nail for that hammer.)

I have a main arduino IDE folder, in which I have folders for arduino-0018, arduino-0021, arduino-0022, and arduino-1.0-rc2. In these I put all the files for that version, and made shortcuts on my desktop for each of the arduino.exe files. The saved files all go to the my documents/arduino folder. In that folder I made folders for each IDE version, in which I save the sketches made for that IDE version. If I want to update an older IDE sketch, I open it with the newer IDE and save the sketch in the newer IDE sketch folder. I can have two different IDEs open at the same time. If an IDE doesn't want to open an older/newer sketch, I just open in one and copy paste to another.

"I see!" said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw. :slight_smile:

Do you have an alternative?

SurferTim:
Do you have an alternative?

Sorry, not following you there, alternative for what?

zoomkat:
I have a main arduino IDE folder, in which I have folders for arduino-0018, arduino-0021, arduino-0022, and arduino-1.0-rc2. In these I put all the files for that version, and made shortcuts on my desktop for each of the arduino.exe files. The saved files all go to the my documents/arduino folder. In that folder I made folders for each IDE version, in which I save the sketches made for that IDE version. If I want to update an older IDE sketch, I open it with the newer IDE and save the sketch in the newer IDE sketch folder. I can have two different IDEs open at the same time. If an IDE doesn't want to open an older/newer sketch, I just open in one and copy paste to another.

OK, that does sound workable, I just need to make sure I understand. Your one and only arduino user sketch folder has sub folders named say V22, V10. and you load and save sketches into the proper subfolders no matter which IDE version you are happen to be using. So I could open IDE 1.0, load an older sketch that needs modification to work with V1.0 and then save as into the V10 subfolder, correct?

I guess that just leaves the user libraries folder in the main sketch folder to think about. No way to run with separate user library folders? Can't have user library folders placed down into sub folders so that version 22 and version 1.0 are working out of different user library folders I suspect. Or do you have another trick up your sleeve.

Lefty

OK, that does sound workable, I just need to make sure I understand. Your one and only arduino user sketch folder has sub folders named say V22, V10. and you load and save sketches into the proper subfolders no matter which IDE version you are happen to be using. So I could open IDE 1.0, load an older sketch that needs modification to work with V1.0 and then save as into the V10 subfolder, correct?

I made the sub folders for saving each IDE's particular sketches. In each IDE folder I made sub folders for serial, servo, utilities, and internet. In the internet folder I made sub folders for server, client and email for those types of sketches. I don't think you can make folders using the IDE, so I just use the usual way of right clicking a folder and selecting the new folder option.

I guess that just leaves the user libraries folder in the main sketch folder to think about. No way to run with separate user library folders? Can't have user library folders placed down into sub folders so that version 22 and version 1.0 are working out of different user library folders I suspect. Or do you have another trick up your sleeve.

You just make seperate folders for each IDE and unzip the IDE files in its own IDE folder. That way each IDE has It's own seperate librarys and sub folders. Each IDE is totally seperate from the others.

zoomkat:

I made the sub folders for saving each IDE's particular sketches. In each IDE folder I made sub folders for serial, servo, utilities, and internet. In the internet folder I made sub folders for server, client and email for those types of sketches. I don't think you can make folders using the IDE, so I just use the usual way of right clicking a folder and selecting the new folder option.

You just make seperate folders for each IDE and unzip the IDE files in its own IDE folder. That way each IDE has It's own seperate librarys and sub folders. Each IDE is totally seperate from the others.

No I'm not talking about the arduino supplied library files and the directory they are stored in. I'm talking about users and 3rd party libraries that are required/recommended to be stored in a directory named libaries located in the users sketch directory.

I'm afraid I'm lost all over again. I guess without seeing a windows explorer type directory printout showing all the folder names and their structure I just don't get the big picture. Not your fault, it's not you it's me. :wink:

I can't recommend enough using an SVN server or Git repo for code tracking. I use VisualSVN server running on a win2k8 box at home to keep track of all my projects, and I use it for everything. Images, arduino code, PCB schematics/board layouts, everything. I recently set up a public git hub page for my project so others could view it without granting access to my home server.

I haven't figured a way to cross post to svn and git at the same time, but I first commit to SVN, then copy the files into the git folder and commit that.

If you aren't using a version control server for tracking projects, you're wrong :slight_smile:

Would that be considered a form of 'cloud computing', if I didn't have my own server box on site? That's not going to happen, I can barely keep my desktop XP running properly.

Lefty

Lefty, git is perfectly usable just on your own machine, you don't have to go any further if you don't care to. I'm just getting started with it, VCSs are a new thing to me in general but I'm getting an inkling that I've been missing something big. Have some circuit board mods to do, gonna commit the current Eagle .brd and .sch files, then I can get on with the mods and be able to back off if I need to.

So... regarding moving to the new IDE. Commit your current sketches in a VCS. Then move forward with IDE v1.0. The old sketches are stored where the IDE can't mess with them. If things don't work out, backing off is easy. For that matter, there could be two parallel development branches, one for each IDE version.

Coupla' links

The Pro Git book is available online at the latter link, or in PDF that can be downloaded. I also sprung for the hardcopy, it looked promising enough that I thought I'd support 'em a tiny bit.

@retrolefty

No I'm not talking about the arduino supplied library files and the directory they are stored in. I'm talking about users and 3rd party libraries that are required/recommended to be stored in a directory named libaries located in the users sketch directory.

I'm afraid I'm lost all over again. I guess without seeing a windows explorer type directory printout showing all the folder names and their structure I just don't get the big picture. Not your fault, it's not you it's me.

I don't how to help you. In my system, I use the 022 version. I call my main folder : Arduino_UNO, the libraries are into "libraries"
and inside that folder, all the libraries into a folder system. And inside the particular library folder, in include : examples folder, a h file and a c file. The h file is use in the line : #include <mylib.h>. So when you install a user library, just do it "manualy".

1. Unzip the files

2. Inside "libraries" folder, created a folder for the library, and inside the new folder, created a folder name examples if it is
    needed.

3. Copy & Paste - C&P the C and H files and examples if any.

4. Test the code with the new library. If it is compile, it work...

Here a picture of my Ardiuno folder and it sub-folders

Yea, I got it through my head finally. By having two separate arduino sketch folder path locations, one for V22 and one for V1.0, each one can contain their own libraries and hardware folders as well as sketches. It's just a matter of selecting the proper sketch folder location path, using the preference command, when the IDE version of choice is first opened.

Thanks for the help on this.

Lefty