running motors w/ motor shield via bt

Hello,

I am trying to power two TT motors via Bluetooth using an hc-05 module.

I purchased a chasis, 2 TT motors, adafruit motorsheild, wheels, hc-05 bt module, & arduino uno.

the motor are attached to the chasis and i have successfully soldered the motorshield to the uno. I do not know what the next step is.

If anyone can help me let me know. I am available for a video call.

Thank you
-Dani

trying to power two TT motors via Bluetooth

I hope you meant "control", not "power".

I do not know what the next step is.

I'd approach this something like:

• edit: jackthomson42 makes a good point in reply #3 "first you need to learn Arduino, read its basic tutorial" which is good advice so I'm adding it here as a very first step. Start here if you didn't already work through some of them
  • Knowing adafruit, there's probably a tutorial on their site about getting motors running with their shield. Forget the BT side of it for now, get the motors working with commands hard-coded in your test sketch.
  • Then, since BT is just serial (or more probably soft serial) decide what commands you want to get from the BT and control the motors from commands just typed in at the serial monitor. Robin2's serial tutorial will help there.
  • Once that's all working, get the BT side working by itself (in isolation of the motors), so you know it's sorted, and can react to stuff sent in over BT to the Arduino. I found this a very useful tutorial for BT and Arduino.
  • Then, use a BT terminal on your phone (assuming you have some kind of phone-based approach in mind) and type the commands which you know work from the ide serial monitor into that terminal and get the motors to react to those.
  • Lastly, use whatever tool you have in mind for creating your actual phone app, to have a nice gui on your phone.

Side note: if you're going to the expense of buying safety goggles, at least wear them on your eyes not your hair :wink:

@danidavis

Moved your topic to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

danidavis:
Hello,

I am trying to power two TT motors via Bluetooth using an hc-05 module.

I purchased a chasis, 2 TT motors, adafruit motorsheild, wheels, hc-05 bt module, & arduino uno.

the motor are attached to the chasis and i have successfully soldered the motorshield to the uno. I do not know what the next step is.

If anyone can help me let me know. I am available for a video call.

Thank you
-Dani

If you are using a motor shield, then why have you soldered it with Arduino, you just need to plug it.

Anyways, first you need to learn Arduino, read its basic tutorial and watch videos on Youtube i.e.

How to use Serial Port ?
How to use Digital & Analog Pins?

From digital Pins you will control your motors and with serial port, you need to control your HC-05 Bluetooth module.

jackthomson42:
why have you soldered it with Arduino, you just need to plug it.

Although she said:

i have successfully soldered the motorshield to the uno

.... I was hoping she meant her shield came with the pins loose, and that she had soldered the pins to the shield. (Perhaps English isn't her first language.)

But her post is almost 48h old now....

Also asked on stackex (closed) and reddit, btw.

Hi, I’m back! So after I write my code & upload it to the uno, how do run it? Like if the code is successfully will it just start moving the wheels via motor? Or do I have to code in start / stop instructions?

Right now I am familiarizing myself with the api so I can learn to control the motors, but i dont know about this code I downloaded… I have a motor shield and the adafruit website does not have a tutorial Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit [v2.3] : ID 1438 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

/*
Adafruit Arduino - Lesson 13. DC Motor
*/

int motorPin = 3;

void setup()
{
pinMode(motorPin, OUTPUT);
Serial.begin(9600);
while (! Serial);
Serial.println(“Speed 0 to 255”);
}

void loop()
{
if (Serial.available())
{
int speed = Serial.parseInt();
if (speed >= 0 && speed <= 255)
{
analogWrite(motorPin, speed);
}
}
}

what is the number in serial.begin(9600)? Like whats the 9600 about?