running off DC only

I finally finished my first big arduino project but I can't figure out how to make it run without the USB connected.

I need it to run on a 5A 12v power source

It is a big machine and needs all the power

Most arduino boards can accept 12V on the VIN. I missed it, what board do you have?

It’s an arduino uno but when I plug it in and try to start my program it will just click idle.

odysseasf: It's an arduino uno but when I plug it in and try to start my program it will just click idle.

I have no idea what you mean " it will just click idle".

1. For testing purposes, can you use the default "blink Led" ?
  2. What happens if you are using USB power?
  3. What happens if you apply 12v to the VIN?

I hope you are aware that the board cannot handle 5A.

The Arduino can be powered by 12v into the Vin but the heavy load must be powered from the supply, not from the board.

We need a full description of what and how you are connecting the circuit. Also a program may help.

Weedpharma

2 endstops at the top left and right of the far side of the machine a green start button. the motor requires 4.2 a little much but its a prototype. Is there like a resistor that i should get to lower the power?

bakery_FINAL.ino (2.59 KB)

more

As stated in post #4, you can power the arduino from 12V on VIN, but don't expect to provide much power to other devices through the arduino 5v regulator.

So, what is your problem then? can we help?

odysseasf: ........ Is there like a resistor that i should get to lower the power?

What is the rated voltage of the motor?

A load will only draw the amount of current it requires. Just because the supply is CAPABLE of 5A, it does not mean it is what it will supply under all loads. As long as it can supply up to the required current, it is ok.

Weedpharma

everything runs parallel off of the one source

?????

How does this answer my question?

Weedpharma

my bad its a 4.2Amp at max power

As you have not answered my question, I will assume it is 12v, at 4.2A. The Arduino will use a couple of hundred milliamperes so the power supply should be suitable.

What do you mean by "click idle"? Do you mean the relay operates but the motor does not turn?

How are you driving the motor? Please supply a picture of the label on the motor.

Weedpharma

Hi, Is all the wiring with that gauge wire, if you have up to 5A flowing in some of them then you will be getting a volt drop. You need a bit heavier wire to carry your motor currents.

Can you please post a copy of your complete circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Tom..... :)