RX & TX led extention

hi is there a way to add an LED to show the TX & RX of the board while the USB is passing data

i know there are onboard LED’s but i have that much stuff in there now i cant hardly see the board never mind the TX & RX LED’s

I would like to have an LED that flashes at the same time as the onboard ones

Sure.

These signals are available at pins 0 and 1. You do not want to put a load (like a LED and its accompanying resistor) to these signals, as that might interfere with communication. So use a few more resistors and a transistor.

A typical one transistor solution like this will invert the signal, you need to decide whether you want that or not. Else you'd need to do the same twice (you'll invert an inverted signal so you'll end up with a non inverted signal).

The LEDs on board are connected to the USB-serial adapter chip. It´s a lot harder to get to these signals, and for sure you can´t make such a connection through the headers available on the Uno (assuming you are using that, you didn't mention what board is in use).

its a mega sorry . i think i might just leave it. if it might cause problems. in this project i've got enough problems arising now it's coming to the end

MAS3: These signals are available at pins 0 and 1.

Well, not actually. "TX" and "RX" LEDs are driven by separate indicator pins. Why? Mainly to provide better indication, showing that whole packets are being transferred in the given direction, not just the individual 1s and 0s.

MAS3: So use a few more resistors and a transistor.

Even better, use a 74HC14 - each gate substitutes for a transistor and the base resistor - you still need a series resistor for the LED. Otherwise unused gates can have their inputs tied to Vcc, or paralleled, or another use found for them.

ok i will keep this in mind. but i will put it on the back burner for now while i sort out my other problems. but it sounds like an option thanks

Paul__B: Well, not actually. "TX" and "RX" LEDs are driven by separate indicator pins.

I know, and i told about that in the same post. On a Mega the data still goes to pins 0 and 1, i just looked that up.