S4A (Scratch for Arduino)

Hi,

Some developers from the smalltalk.cat group in Barcelona have modified Scratch (you know, this great environment for learning programming) to make it able to program Arduino boards.
The software is named S4A (stands for Scratch for Arduino).

Also, at this web site you can see some demos, one of them showing how S4A can control two Arduino boards at the same time (a WiFi robot and a remote for this robot).

I hope you find it interesting. Any comment or feedback will be welcome!

Bests,

Jordi

The web site where you can download S4A is
http://seaside.citilab.eu/scratch/arduino

Bests,

Jordi

Well I like this because although there is modkit but it's not free...

I'll take a look and I have to say that I'll be supporting this if it's any good.

Mowcius

Doesn't really look like they've done a huge amount other than write a sketch that makes the arduino emulate the Picoboard interface board you can get for Scratch. From what I could see, there's a lot of work still needing to be done to make a proper Scratch interface for the 'duino.

Technically speaking, it can't 'program' an Arduino as you need to upload a sketch to your board in order for it to be recognised by the editor. (This is what is used to emulate the Picoboard.)

At the moment, the editor only supports 6 analog and 2 digital I/O pins. Also, there doesn't seem to have been much effort made to remove functions from the libraries that don't pertain to hardware interfacing, with many of the original Scratch functions still evident.

I know that this is probably still early days with this project and what they've done isn't too bad I suppose, but to make this a serious contender for Modkit, it needs a heck of a lot more spit and polish.

I know that this is probably still early days with this project and what they've done isn't too bad I suppose, but to make this a serious contender for Modkit, it needs a heck of a lot more spit and polish.

Yeah, upon further examination, it looks a little lacking currently.

Also, there doesn't seem to have been much effort made to remove functions from the libraries that don't pertain to hardware interfacing, with many of the original Scratch functions still evident.

Just to make clear our intentions. We wanted Scratch (with all its capabilities) plus the ability to control Arduino boards from Scratch programs. We never wanted to remove anything from Scratch.

At the moment, the editor only supports 6 analog and 2 digital I/O pins

When we started to develop S4A we wanted to have an educational tool with easy programming (can you get easier than Scratch?) and basic access to the board pins. That's what we have now. How far can you go? Just watch the video demo.

Besides, we never wanted to upload anything to the board. We wanted to control boards from a program running in Scratch. And that is what we have done.

it needs a heck of a lot more spit and polish

it looks a little lacking currently

ok, thanks. Now, is there any constructive criticism around?

Hello

I'm currently working on a project in New Zealand that aims to teach 13-16 year old children about electronics and embedded development. The two main focuses were using simple hardware, and even simpler software, allowing children to explore the world if electronics without being daunted by new languages or tricky circuits.

Scratch for Arduino covers all of these bases, and while not programming the Arduino directly, it still allows a great deal of flexibility and functionality.

I have modified the Scratch side of things slightly, since we are not using motors, I have changed the motor outputs to standard digital outputs, thus giving more functionality.

I would like to hear what else the S4A team are coming up with, I think it's a great program

-Luke :slight_smile: