SAM3X8E FTDI Connections

Hello.

I am doing a project with Arduino Due processor, the Atmel SAM3X8E, I will use the 100 lead version to do my own board.

For the serial comunication I will use both native USB port and programming port, for the programming port I will use the FTDI FT232RL. I have no problems with the native USB connections.

I am having troubles trying to figure out the necessaries connections between the FTDI and the processor.

Do I need the CTS, RTS and DTR pins from the FTDI to connect to the processor? Or only the DTR for reset while downloading code from the Arduino IDE?

Hope someone can help me, because I dont´t see anyone using the FTDI FT232RL with this processor.

Apart from the Sam3x8e, what will you have on your board ?

ard_newbie: Apart from the Sam3x8e, what will you have on your board ?

Hello.

I will have I2C eeprom, externall I2C ADC module, several output mosfets, some input digital isolators, 2xCAN bus transcievers, reset button, 2 crystals and that´s about it (and all the necessary capacitors and resistors).

Thank you.

There is the DUE CORE compatible Arduino DUE board. Maybe the schematic of this board could help you:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Due-Core-SAM3X8E-32-bit-ARM-Cortex-M3-Mini-Module-Compatible-UC-2102-512K-Flash-96K/32681732855.html

ard_newbie: There is the DUE CORE compatible Arduino DUE board. Maybe the schematic of this board could help you:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Due-Core-SAM3X8E-32-bit-ARM-Cortex-M3-Mini-Module-Compatible-UC-2102-512K-Flash-96K/32681732855.html

Hello ard_newbie,

Thank your for your advice.

Can you please confirm me this:

The SAM3X8E datasheet section 7.2.3.9 (SAM-BA Boot) says the serial communication is provided via the UART and USB. The UART corresponds to pins PA8 (URXD) and PA9 (UTXD), just like in the DUE CORE board.

So, if I´m correct, the FTDI RX and TX pins must be connected to the processor´s UART, and not to the USART right?

Thank you for helping me.

The USART peripheral is not concerned by the communication between the DUE and the Serial Monitor.

The Arduino Due has two USB ports available. The Native USB port (which supports CDC serial communication using the SerialUSB object) is connected directly to the SAM3X MCU. The other USB port is the Programming port. It is connected to an ATMEL 16U2 which acts as a USB-to-Serial converter. This Programming port is the default for uploading sketches and communicating with the Arduino. The USB-to-serial converter of the Programming port is connected to the first UART of the SAM3X ( In fact there is only one UART in a Sam3x8e). It's possible to communicate over this port using the "Serial" object in the Arduino programming language. The USB connector of the Native port is directly connected to the USB host pins of the SAM3X. Using the Native port enables you to use the Due as a client USB peripheral (acting as a mouse or a keyboard connected to the computer) or as a USB host device so that devices can be connected to the Due (like a mouse, keyboard, or an Android phone). This port can also be used as a virtual serial port using the "SerialUSB" object in the Arduino programming language.

ard_newbie: The USART peripheral is not concerned by the communication between the DUE and the Serial Monitor.

The Arduino Due has two USB ports available. The Native USB port (which supports CDC serial communication using the SerialUSB object) is connected directly to the SAM3X MCU. The other USB port is the Programming port. It is connected to an ATMEL 16U2 which acts as a USB-to-Serial converter. This Programming port is the default for uploading sketches and communicating with the Arduino. The USB-to-serial converter of the Programming port is connected to the first UART of the SAM3X ( In fact there is only one UART in a Sam3x8e). It's possible to communicate over this port using the "Serial" object in the Arduino programming language. The USB connector of the Native port is directly connected to the USB host pins of the SAM3X. Using the Native port enables you to use the Due as a client USB peripheral (acting as a mouse or a keyboard connected to the computer) or as a USB host device so that devices can be connected to the Due (like a mouse, keyboard, or an Android phone). This port can also be used as a virtual serial port using the "SerialUSB" object in the Arduino programming language.

Hello.

That´s the confirmation I needed.

Thank you for your help!